Old 23-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Renes Smither

Default Mystery fish

Please could anyone identify the fish shown at
http://www.geocities.com/renes_smither/mypage.html

We recently moved to a house with a pond which has
60+ black fish in it. I would like to know what they are.
I suspect they are goldfish without the gold colour but I am not sure.

Renes

Old 24-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Steve in 236

The picture loaded too small for me to make a judgement on what the fish is,
it could be a goldfish but the shape doesn't seem quite right.

Old 24-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Renes Smither

Steve,

If you download the picture by right clicking on it it can then be opened in
MS Paint or whatever JPG editor you have on your PC. The real image is quite
large and hi-res, and is 440KB in size. I just put the site up in geocitees
as my news provider does not host the binaries groups. I would be very
interested in your opinion.

Regards,

Renes

rthlink.net...

Old 25-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Jerrispond

it could be a goldfish but the shape doesn't seem quite right.

I agree....wrong body shape....more like in the sunfish family Jerri

Old 26-03-2003, 04:08 AM
jammer

On 25 Mar 2003 23:45:27 GMT, (Jerrispond) wrote:

I agree....wrong body shape....more like in the sunfish family Jerri

Hi Jerri, I was going to send you an update in a while about the
plants you sent me last september. ...How are you feeling?

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 26-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve in 236

"Renes Smither" wrote in message
Steve,

If you download the picture by right clicking on it it can then be opened

in
MS Paint or whatever JPG editor you have on your PC. The real image is

quite
large and hi-res, and is 440KB in size. I just put the site up in

geocitees
as my news provider does not host the binaries groups. I would be very
interested in your opinion.

Regards,

Renes

Renes,

I viewed the picture with MS paint and I'm changing my mind. You've run
headlong into a wonderful lesson on natural selection. What you have are
nice, plump "brassies". Brassies are the common goldfish (Carrasius
auratus) that have been born with a more natural brass coloration. A
millenia or two ago, almost all goldfish were that color. The Chinese
started the aquarium hobby by hand selecting the few brightly colored fish
out of their food ponds and raising them in ceramic pots. At one time
someone introduced ornamental goldfish to the pond and they spawned, and
genetics being what they are this led to a mix of colors in the offspring.
Obviously, being a flaming orange color is not the best tactic in the
natural world. Predators have picked off all of the brightly colored
goldfish in the pond, leaving the better camoflaged ones. This could easily
happen in one generation.

Old 27-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Renes Smither

[...]

Thanks Steve, this makes a lot of sense in view of what I know about the
pond and the previous owner. Also we have a visiting heron who has probably
been the evolutionary driving factor.

All the best,

Renes

Old 27-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Jerrispond

...How are you feeling?

Doing better thanks...I went to the grocery store for the first time
today....rode around in the little electric cart......Jerri