Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Koi birth control

Background for those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about (this
would include a major portion of my "friends."):

I have a 2/3 acre earth-bottomed pond that is home to a number of hardy
water lilies, some potted in plastic pails, some escaped. It's home to
rather two many large-mouth bass and until last winter, a Koi named Walter,
who had been a pet of my wife. Sadly, both are now departed this place.
I intend to get another Koi this spring, but understand that they're social
critters, and more than one would be better.

Sooooooo....

Are there sterile Koi available, as there are triploid "grass carp" for
weed control? Can they be sexed accurately enough to assure all-male (or
all-female; I'm OK with either)?

I'm painfully aware of my [lack of] management skills, and don't want to
take the change on things getting overrun. Speaking of which, anybody who
wants to help thin out the bass (Albany, NY area, more or less), drop a
separate email. The worm and six pack method works well.

Mixed bag of precipitation on its way here tonight; good time to get myself
organized. Like _that's_ gonna happen!

Peace,