Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Koi birth control

Background for those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about (this
would include a major portion of my "friends."):

I have a 2/3 acre earth-bottomed pond that is home to a number of hardy
water lilies, some potted in plastic pails, some escaped. It's home to
rather two many large-mouth bass and until last winter, a Koi named Walter,
who had been a pet of my wife. Sadly, both are now departed this place.
I intend to get another Koi this spring, but understand that they're social
critters, and more than one would be better.

Sooooooo....

Are there sterile Koi available, as there are triploid "grass carp" for
weed control? Can they be sexed accurately enough to assure all-male (or
all-female; I'm OK with either)?

I'm painfully aware of my [lack of] management skills, and don't want to
take the change on things getting overrun. Speaking of which, anybody who
wants to help thin out the bass (Albany, NY area, more or less), drop a
separate email. The worm and six pack method works well.

Mixed bag of precipitation on its way here tonight; good time to get myself
organized. Like _that's_ gonna happen!

Peace,

Old 01-03-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Background for those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about (this
would include a major portion of my "friends."):

I have a 2/3 acre earth-bottomed pond that is home to a number of hardy
water lilies, some potted in plastic pails, some escaped. It's home to
rather two many large-mouth bass and until last winter, a Koi named
Walter,
who had been a pet of my wife. Sadly, both are now departed this place.
I intend to get another Koi this spring, but understand that they're
social
critters, and more than one would be better.

Sooooooo....

Are there sterile Koi available, as there are triploid "grass carp" for
weed control? Can they be sexed accurately enough to assure all-male (or
all-female; I'm OK with either)?

=================================
Those who have and know their fish can usually sex them by just watching
them once they're old enough to spawn. Those with a more slender body madly
chasing the "full" figured ones through the plants are sure to be the males.

If your pond is open to the local predators they'll most likely keep the
population under control. Without nets we wouldn't have one fish left.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.ponds

Throw a bass or two in there to keep it under control.
Carol Gulley is one hell of a fine individual to state how to go with
birth control.ask her son for the facts.I bet he wished he practiced
it!

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:49:29 -0600, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

.. .

Old 03-03-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.ponds

get some Orfes in there. they will clean out eggs and young. Ingrid

Gary Woods wrote:
Are there sterile Koi available, as there are triploid "grass carp" for
weed control? Can they be sexed accurately enough to assure all-male (or
all-female; I'm OK with either)?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

A bit ³ot² Birth of the Internet Bill[_13_] Gardening 0 15-08-2008 04:16 PM
Birth of a hummingbird Sven Gardening 13 18-08-2005 11:29 PM
Birth of a Hummingbird [email protected] North Carolina 3 16-06-2004 02:09 AM
I'm watching my cactus giving birth madgardener Gardening 5 17-08-2003 02:42 PM
OT My Wife Gave Birth Last Night OT Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 28 12-08-2003 01:43 AM