Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Reel McKoi[_3_] Reel McKoi[_3_] is offline

Default Koi birth control

Throw a bass or two in there to keep it under control.
Carol Gulley is one hell of a fine individual to state how to go with
birth control.ask her son for the facts.I bet he wished he practiced
it!

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:49:29 -0600, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
Background for those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about (this
would include a major portion of my "friends."):

I have a 2/3 acre earth-bottomed pond that is home to a number of hardy
water lilies, some potted in plastic pails, some escaped. It's home to
rather two many large-mouth bass and until last winter, a Koi named
Walter,
who had been a pet of my wife. Sadly, both are now departed this place.
I intend to get another Koi this spring, but understand that they're
social
critters, and more than one would be better.

Sooooooo....

Are there sterile Koi available, as there are triploid "grass carp" for
weed control? Can they be sexed accurately enough to assure all-male (or
all-female; I'm OK with either)?

Those who have and know their fish can usually sex them by just watching
them once they're old enough to spawn. Those with a more slender body madly
chasing the "full" figured ones through the plants are sure to be the males.

If your pond is open to the local predators they'll most likely keep the
population under control. Without nets we wouldn't have one fish left.