Old 01-03-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
[email protected] nobody@junk.min.net is offline

Default Fish & Frogs

In , on 02/28/07
at 10:07 AM, Gill Passman said:

Talking of frogs....do yours overwinter in the pond or go elsewhere? In
my old pond they used to stay in the pond - it freaked me once to spot
them under the ice - I thought that they had frozen solid but nope, come
the spring they were breeding and filling the pond with frogspawn.....

My painted turte overwinters in my pond (this is its seventh winter, I
believe.) I used to get green frog (they're native here) tadpoles or
froglets from my local fish store, but they never stuck around - perhaps
the stream in the woods behind my house smelled better to them?

I'm always looking for toad tadpoles in the spring, but I haven't found
anyone to bring any to me. I can't go out and catch them by myself (wish
I could.)

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21