Old 01-03-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Species Dahlias

On 1 Mar, 12:25, Sacha wrote:
On 1/3/07 11:47, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
Sacha,
I have been looking at this site and some look very similar to the
seedlings I had.
http://www.dahlia-nds.co.uk/Specie_Dahlia.htm
But have seen a lot of other species I would like to get my hands on
in other sites.
I can but drool
David Hill

I like that D. campanulata *very* much.
There's a pic of D. imperialis in The Garden magazine this week. Ours is
still flourishing in the greenhouse but I must say that it's more of a
curiosity than a thing of great beauty. The one you gave us is much nicer
though not as tall. We got D. imperialis to flower in the garden last year,
right at the end of the summer.
The D. excelsa looks like the one we had from you as to form but the colour
is too purple on that site. Yours is a much nicer colour than that so I
wonder if it's the colour register or if you have some as yet undetected
species!
BTW, did we give you D. Engelhardt's Matador when you were here last? It's
a fabulous colour and has lovely bronze foliage. We got it from a chap in
Cumbria and as far as I know, he was the only person with it at that time,
though I think a few others have it now. It's a really lovely plant.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

That's a variety I don't have Sacha, It is listed twice in the
National Dahlia society listings, though the earlier listing has no
grower in the UK with it, just 4 in Europe, The second Has just one
grower in Cumbria with it.
Sounds an interesting variety,
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries