Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default Capsicums rotting

Potaroo wrote:
I have the best crop of Caps but whilst they're on the way to becoming red
they seem to rot from the inside.
Disappointing to pick them only to have you fingers go through.
Any ideas what is wrong.
Cheers,

I would say after reading this "overwatering" But there are other reasons.
CAYENNE (Capsicum annum)
Annual (Perennial in warmer climates) growing to around 30-40cm tall. Bright green foliage with off-white flowers.

Growing Conditions:
Prefers warm, frost free position, in full to partial shade.

Cultu
Well-drained, moderately rich soil is most suitable. Plants may need staking

Companion Planting:
Grows well with most vegetables. Marigolds and chives nearby may be of some benefit to cayenne.

Propagation:
Seed sown under cover, then seedlings planted out into beds.

Pests & Diseases:
Over-watering can lead to general fungal problems and rotting of the peppers.
Insect damage is rarely a major problem, but can occur.

Uses:
Medicinal and culinary. Variety of pepper that can really 'heat' up a wide variety of dishes. One of the components of cayenne can raise the rate of human metabolism if used regularly. This can result in a greater burn up of calories/joules, aiding in weight loss.