Old 02-03-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MELANIE MCDONALD MELANIE MCDONALD is offline

Default Moving A Mature Fuschia Bush?

Why not take a few cuttings as a back-up then if it doesnt survive the move
you'll have some babies and wont lose it completely.
Mel.

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Howard Haigh wrote:
: I would like to move a mature fuschia bush - it's currently causing a
: problem when in full growth and in bloom as it's immediately next to
: my front path and has to be pruned back constantly during the summer.
: I don't know the variety but its pinkish red flowers lasted well into
: December and leaves only dropped during the foul weather at the end
: of January. I have now cut it back to about 18 inches in height and
: it's a mass of woody stems that's over 12" wide in one direction and
: over 24" wide in the other direction. Will it take being dug up and
: split and planted somewhere more suitable? I live in the Northwest of
: England.
:
: TIA
:
: Howard

I would say so, especially as it's already cut back. You just have enough
'cool' weather left for it to get a bit of root growth before the sun's
heat
which would make it struggle. Not sure about splitting, sometimes other
rooted bits drop off when you dig them up