Old 27-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Trish K.

Default Ivy: How to get it to cling to my brick wall?

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:50:33 -0500, "Heather"
wrote:

Ivy exploits defects in rock (like brick and mortar) and this is what
you want it to cling to. It will cause the mortar to decay faster then
if nothing was agitating it, but it will be a very long time before it
will damage the motar, if at all, and when growing ivy be aware, not
scared, of that. You can always slap on more mortar. Ivy is good, I
think. I have shingles, ivy grows right into them, but I know my Ivy
and what it's thinking.

Ivy likes all the good things; food and water and soily do dads. Maybe
some lime, here in Juniper loves Red Oak Land, lime helps Ivy.

You can anchor or tie Ivy near a place where you think it will cling.
But spring is the time when it cozys up, or at least by midsummer I
don't see a lot of movement. Ivy is active a bit now, but no new
growth, night temps still frosty, April on the way!

TK

I have an Ivy that I planted last year that grew really well but did not
attach itself to the brick wall right beside it. How do I go about
'training' it to climb the wall this year? Do you have to 'tack' it in
place for a while until it get's used to being on the wall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather in Toronto, Canda