Old 26-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Heather

Default Ivy: How to get it to cling to my brick wall?

I have an Ivy that I planted last year that grew really well but did not
attach itself to the brick wall right beside it. How do I go about
'training' it to climb the wall this year? Do you have to 'tack' it in
place for a while until it get's used to being on the wall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather in Toronto, Canda

Old 26-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Charlie

Default How to get it to cling to my brick wall?

Cut it down while you have the chance! I've spent the last few weeks trying
to get Ivy off my Victorian house because it's pulling the mortar out!

Charlie.

"Heather" wrote in message
I have an Ivy that I planted last year that grew really well but did not
attach itself to the brick wall right beside it. How do I go about
'training' it to climb the wall this year? Do you have to 'tack' it in
place for a while until it get's used to being on the wall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather in Toronto, Canda

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

---

Old 26-03-2003, 09:44 PM
paghat

In article , "Charlie"
wrote:

Cut it down while you have the chance! I've spent the last few weeks trying
to get Ivy off my Victorian house because it's pulling the mortar out!

Charlie.

There are many kinds of ivy. The cultivars with small or with deeply cut
leaves are not invasive. Algerian ivy, invasive in the south, is very
restrained in northern climates. But you're absolutely right NO English
ivy should EVER be trained to the side of a house, as even if not
invasive, it'll leech nutrients out of the mortar until it turns to
powder.

"Heather" wrote in message
I have an Ivy that I planted last year that grew really well but did not
attach itself to the brick wall right beside it. How do I go about
'training' it to climb the wall this year? Do you have to 'tack' it in
place for a while until it get's used to being on the wall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather in Toronto, Canda

If it's English ivy it won't necessarily cling to the wall on its own.
Deciduous boston ivy attaches & spreads along a wall much more readily.
But I'm assuming you have English ivy, & do warn as did Charlie that if it
is not a quality cultivar, it could in the very long run really get in the
way & strangle smaller plants all around it, & be a bear ever to get rid
of. English ivy cultivars that have a lot of yellow in the leaves, or
variegated, are deeply cut so look a bit like marijuana leaves, or are
miniature leaves or "curlies", are never invasive. Info on invasive
potential he
http://www.paghat.com/ivy.html

Once you have it actually growing into the wall, the roots will
eventually break down & cause the mortar to powder, & roots will get in
every available crack & possibly widen the cracks. Imperfections in a
brick fence can improve its looks if rusticity is the goal, so attaching
to brick & mortar is not necessarily a negative thing -- just so long as
it's not the house, in which case you'll someday be very sorry.

To train it to a brick fence or barrier is easy enough but not automatic
as the vines will be more inclined to be groundcovers & not climb anything
until they find something wooden (tree or fence), & even then won't
necessarily climb up unless its seeking sun -- if plenty of sun reaches it
it's not that interested in climbing. You might get a trellis to attach
close to the brick, in order to have something to wind the ivy through &
upward; once established on the trellis it will continue to spread left &
right even on the untrellised part of the brick barrier. If it could be
planted ABOVE the wall like on a cliff edge, it would spill down more
readily than it will climb up without encouragement. Or if you even just
train it up a few slender sticks that are placed up against the bricks,
EVENTUALLY each upward-trained vine will find a part of the wall it wants
to adhere to, & then the stick can be broken out of the vine, & it'll
continue to spread on the wall.

If you switched to boston ivy it'd all happen more naturally on its own
with no special training required. There is also an "upright" English ivy
cultivar that grows from a vertical trunk -- usually sold in the
three-foot-tall range, look like little ivy trees. Those can be espaliered
to anything.

English Ivy can take three or four years to really be satisfied with its
root development, & only then start spreading like mad so that you may
want to trim it annually thereafter. The first couple years, many people
feel disappointed because they thought it was going to cover a whole fence
in a matter of weeks.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 26-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Charlie

Ah sorry, thought I was in the Brit newsgroup. :-D I cut a section of trunk
out a few hours ago and it was a good four inches in diameter. I used to
love the stuff when I was little, but I hate it now! This is the third tree
of it that I've started on, and when I say tree, I mean it! If the house
fell down, this stuff could stand up on it's own!

Charlie.

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 26-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Heather

Thanks for your advice. I have Boston Ivy and will try to attach it to the
wall with a trellis as you have suggested Paghat. Charlie, I love english
gardens (and am trying to create on in Toronto, Canada) and would love for
the thick ivy that you have. Sorry yours is such a pain on your home.

Heather

"Charlie" wrote in message
Ah sorry, thought I was in the Brit newsgroup. :-D I cut a section of

trunk
out a few hours ago and it was a good four inches in diameter. I used to
love the stuff when I was little, but I hate it now! This is the third

tree
of it that I've started on, and when I say tree, I mean it! If the house
fell down, this stuff could stand up on it's own!

Charlie.

"paghat" wrote in message
news

&

Old 26-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Charlie

No, you really wouldn't want it! It pulls the mortar out, dislodges the
bricks, has broken panes of glass and their frames, throws original roof
tiles to the floor and smashes them, pulls drainpipes off the wall and kills
anything else that tries to compete with it. One "plant" also harbours a
lovely nest of flying ants right below my window. I have to move out of my
room every summer because of the invasion! The wrong sort of Ivy is hell,
frankly I'm worried about my house staying upright after I've taken the Ivy
down, it's been there for so long.

Charlie.

"Charlie" wrote in message
Ah sorry, thought I was in the Brit newsgroup. :-D I cut a section of

trunk
out a few hours ago and it was a good four inches in diameter. I used

love the stuff when I was little, but I hate it now! This is the third

tree
of it that I've started on, and when I say tree, I mean it! If the

house
fell down, this stuff could stand up on it's own!

Charlie.

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 27-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Trish K.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:50:33 -0500, "Heather"
wrote:

Ivy exploits defects in rock (like brick and mortar) and this is what
you want it to cling to. It will cause the mortar to decay faster then
if nothing was agitating it, but it will be a very long time before it
will damage the motar, if at all, and when growing ivy be aware, not
scared, of that. You can always slap on more mortar. Ivy is good, I
think. I have shingles, ivy grows right into them, but I know my Ivy
and what it's thinking.

Ivy likes all the good things; food and water and soily do dads. Maybe
some lime, here in Juniper loves Red Oak Land, lime helps Ivy.

You can anchor or tie Ivy near a place where you think it will cling.
But spring is the time when it cozys up, or at least by midsummer I
don't see a lot of movement. Ivy is active a bit now, but no new
growth, night temps still frosty, April on the way!

TK

Old 31-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Snooze

Hope this brick wall isn't against the side of your house. As others have
already said, it's bad for the mortar. And it makes a really convient ladder
for rats and mice to climb up to a window.

Sameer

Old 04-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Harlan Davis

I'd love to know the best way to get rid of it! I started pulling it out last
weekend, and its a real job. It was starting to get under the siding, crawling
up my hawthorn, and generally creeping into the lawn. I plan on pulling it all
out, but I suspect the roots will continue to send up new shoots. Help.

Harlan

"Heather" wrote in message
I have an Ivy that I planted last year that grew really well but did not
attach itself to the brick wall right beside it. How do I go about
'training' it to climb the wall this year? Do you have to 'tack' it in
place for a while until it get's used to being on the wall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather in Toronto, Canda

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Seeds/cling film? Candy United Kingdom 5 15-04-2009 09:47 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Jane finds her garden:brick wall question Jane Lumley United Kingdom 50 05-12-2003 09:34 PM
Jane finds her garden:brick wall question Jane Lumley United Kingdom 0 29-11-2003 07:17 PM