Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Species Dahlias

In article om, Dave
Hill writes

I think you mean Tsuki- ytori-no-shisha, White fimbriated Cactus.

Yes that's the one, absolutely over the top but certainly a show
stopper!

It's strange, I've had what I was given to understand was D. Merkyii
but it never got over 18inches,

Same here, with a paleish pink flower, though the people 'in the know'
round here seemed to see nothing wrong with it. It has spread however to
about 3 foot or more and loads of leaves.

I have just ordered seed to see the
difference as it is supposed to get to around 6ft, also seed of D.
merkyii white.

Can I order the excelsior from you?

It would be interesting to try a FEW of your seed as well Janet.

OK will send some. Maybe a few others as well? I have ordered from HPS,
RHS, Plants of Distinction, Chiltern seeds, Plant World, T&M, Suttons
and Unwins this year! Packets of seeds all over the place.

Just wondering if you put a few drops of bleach in the water for cut
dahlias, and for other flowers as well?

Well, only put the Japanese dahlia and the large purple cactus in a
vase, Never liked indoor plants otherwise unless they were things such
as freesia or a branch of something that smells nice. I really don't
like watching flowers steadily die in a vase, gives me the heebie
jeebies.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph