Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Spring pruning and feeding

"22brix" wrote in message
Wow, you're way ahead of us! Our roses are just starting to send
out their first little shoots--no leaves yet! We had snow earlier
this week (I live in "sunny" California!) Do you use time release
fertilizer at all? I've been away from growing roses for a while
and used to use it in conjunction with Miracle Grow, and
occasionally alfalfa tea. I've planted about 20 new roses this year
and am starting to think about things like fertilizing!

Bonnie
Northern California
Zone 9

I use time release fertilizer in potted plants
but not in my beds. I suppose I could. I've
seen that recommended in rose books.

It sounds like your feeding plan is a lot
like mine. I figure the strong roses will do
ok with just about any food, and the weak
roses will die no matter what I do.

You must be in a cooler micro-climate. I'm
surprised your roses aren't as far along as
mine, since you're in a warmer zone. But
this has been a really weird winter for most
of the USA. I've heard the USDA is going
to redo the hardiness zone map again.
Could be interesting to see where we all
end up!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8