Old 02-03-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Spring pruning and feeding

In Southcentral Texas USA it's probably
past time to be pruning and feeding, but
that's my schedule.

Everything is leafed out, some shrubs more
than others. Most roses are small enough
that I can prune them pretty quickly. The
Teas are monsters, most of them, and take
a lot longer. I usually do the climbers and
other old garden roses last. Some of the
OGRs only bloom in spring, so I wait to
prune until after blooming.

I've prepared alfalfa tea and will be putting
that on the roses soon. I'm pretty casual
about feeding, sometimes using Miracle Gro,
sometimes organic food. I try to add
compost to the beds and around free-standing
roses at least once a year. I like to use alfalfa
tea twice a year (spring and fall) but don't
always get around to doing it. It's a lot of
effort for 150 roses.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 02-03-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Here in the north, we still have snow on the ground and only dim memories of
what our gardens look like with leaves and blooms. Pruning is often started
in late April. Pruning patterns are the same.

Think of us as you work in your garden. We'll be shoveling snow!

Best Regards

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Wow, you're way ahead of us! Our roses are just starting to send out their
first little shoots--no leaves yet! We had snow earlier this week (I live
in "sunny" California!) Do you use time release fertilizer at all? I've
been away from growing roses for a while and used to use it in conjunction
with Miracle Grow, and occasionally alfalfa tea. I've planted about 20 new
roses this year and am starting to think about things like fertilizing!

Bonnie

Northern California
Zone 9

Old 03-03-2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Our trees are putting out leaves and flowers and our roses are putting
out new stems and leaves.

We calculate it to be a Lamb season since it went out like a Lion :-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
t...
Here in the north, we still have snow on the ground and only dim
memories of what our gardens look like with leaves and blooms.
Pruning is often started in late April. Pruning patterns are the
same.

Think of us as you work in your garden. We'll be shoveling snow!

Best Regards

I miss snow. I used to live in Maryland
and although we didn't always get a decent
snowfall in winter, it was something I could
look forward to every couple of years.

Last night here was an overnight freeze with
high enough winds during the day I gave up
doing any more pruning. Tonight should
be another freeze, then next week I'll be
able to start feeding alfalfa tea and continue
pruning.

I'm hoping to move east/northeast in the next
few years. I don't know if I'll adjust to a
shorter growing season but given advancing
age (mid 60s) and arthritis, I expect I'll be
delighted not to have to attend to my garden
9-10 months out of the year, as is the case
here!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"22brix" wrote in message
Wow, you're way ahead of us! Our roses are just starting to send
out their first little shoots--no leaves yet! We had snow earlier
this week (I live in "sunny" California!) Do you use time release
fertilizer at all? I've been away from growing roses for a while
and used to use it in conjunction with Miracle Grow, and
occasionally alfalfa tea. I've planted about 20 new roses this year
and am starting to think about things like fertilizing!

Bonnie
Northern California
Zone 9

I use time release fertilizer in potted plants
but not in my beds. I suppose I could. I've
seen that recommended in rose books.

It sounds like your feeding plan is a lot
like mine. I figure the strong roses will do
ok with just about any food, and the weak
roses will die no matter what I do.

You must be in a cooler micro-climate. I'm
surprised your roses aren't as far along as
mine, since you're in a warmer zone. But
this has been a really weird winter for most
of the USA. I've heard the USDA is going
to redo the hardiness zone map again.
Could be interesting to see where we all
end up!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"22brix" wrote in message
Wow, you're way ahead of us! Our roses are just starting to send out
their first little shoots--no leaves yet! We had snow earlier this week
(I live in "sunny" California!) Do you use time release fertilizer at
all? I've been away from growing roses for a while and used to use it in
conjunction with Miracle Grow, and occasionally alfalfa tea. I've planted
about 20 new roses this year and am starting to think about things like
fertilizing!

Bonnie

Northern California
Zone 9

SNOW in zone 9? We use regular Rose fertilizer, compost and then a coarse
mulch of pine bark.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

[...]

Here in zone 6, upper south they're just starting to leaf out. I pruned them
last week. Will fertilize, add compost and mulch them during the next warm
spell. Too much trouble with black spot so we wont replace any more that
die.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"22brix" wrote in message

You must be in a cooler micro-climate. I'm
surprised your roses aren't as far along as
mine, since you're in a warmer zone. But
this has been a really weird winter for most
of the USA. I've heard the USDA is going
to redo the hardiness zone map again.
Could be interesting to see where we all
end up!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

This has indeed been a very strange winter for us. It was very cold in
January, cold and clear, a couple of weeks where the night temps were in the
mid-teens (almost unheard of here). This was after several weeks of
unusually warm weather. The roses are really confused. Usually it's wet
and rainy, with colder clear days occasionally. Our pipes coming out from
the well froze, so no water for a couple of days. The joys of country
living! Our roses are frequently further along than this.

Bonnie

Old 06-03-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Minelli Family" wrote in message
Here in zone 6, upper south they're just starting to leaf out. I
pruned them
last week. Will fertilize, add compost and mulch them during the
next warm
spell. Too much trouble with black spot so we wont replace any more
that
die.

I would like to cut back on the number of
roses I have. Easiest way to do that is
not replace ones that die. Of course, every
year I say that, and every year I buy new
roses to replace dead ones!

I'm lucky in that blackspot is not a major
problem in my area, which is good because
I don't like to spray. But I have noticed
that some roses get almost no blackspot,
whereas others get a lot. If you decide to
keep roses, you might check for varieties
that are more resistant to blackspot.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

[...]

I have looked in my area and found none. Just the usual hybrid teas and
grandafloras. Both prone to early death no matter how much spraying is done.
The one nursery that carried the other types, the wild types closed several
years ago. With both of us retired now it's too costly to buy them mail
order. I'll care for what we have and when they're gone they're gone.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I am not surprised that the USDA is redoing the hardiness zone map. I live
in a northern Suburb of NYC. Our December/January weather was like our
early fall weather. We only had about 5 really cold days. I suspect that
the warmer zones are going to be moving northwards.

AL

"22brix" wrote in message
[...]

Dornfelder grape - pruning and (later) feeding Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 0 29-11-2006 03:13 PM
Spring feeding Scott Murchison Ponds 2 12-04-2005 05:50 AM
Spring serenades, evening harmonies, and offerings of Spring come madgardener Gardening 2 21-04-2004 01:04 AM
Spring doings, major garden accomplishments and spring is bursting out up in Fairy holler madgardener Gardening 0 25-03-2004 10:02 PM
Spring feeding roger Ponds 4 28-04-2003 07:20 AM