Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default How soon is too soon?

I'm going to plant tomatoes from seed this year rather than buy plants.
I'd also like to have them ready by the middle of July which is about 6
weeks earlier then usual (I live in Massachusetts). My plan is to start
them indoors in peat pots and then start transplanting in late April.
I'll put a few plants in the ground each week until the danger of frost
has passed, I figure I'll have a massive surplus of plants so I can
afford to waste some, if the earliest get killed I'll just replace them.
My question is how many weeks before I do my first planting should I
start the seeds? Should I stagger when I put the seeds in pots or can I
just let some of the plants stay in pots for an extra month?

BTW I've decided to do all heirlooms this year, mostly Russian varieties
like the Paul Robeson (I couldn't resist this, I figured if I was going
to plant Russian tomatoes they might as well be commie tomatoes), Orange
Russian and the Alaska (Aljaska). Anyone have any experience with these
varieties?