Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How soon is too soon?

I'm going to plant tomatoes from seed this year rather than buy plants.
I'd also like to have them ready by the middle of July which is about 6
weeks earlier then usual (I live in Massachusetts). My plan is to start
them indoors in peat pots and then start transplanting in late April.
I'll put a few plants in the ground each week until the danger of frost
has passed, I figure I'll have a massive surplus of plants so I can
afford to waste some, if the earliest get killed I'll just replace them.
My question is how many weeks before I do my first planting should I
start the seeds? Should I stagger when I put the seeds in pots or can I
just let some of the plants stay in pots for an extra month?

BTW I've decided to do all heirlooms this year, mostly Russian varieties
like the Paul Robeson (I couldn't resist this, I figured if I was going
to plant Russian tomatoes they might as well be commie tomatoes), Orange
Russian and the Alaska (Aljaska). Anyone have any experience with these
varieties?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
[...]

I had a tomato planted in a 5 gallon bucket a few winters ago. They'll
grow, but that plant was all foilage and produced 3 very small tomatoes.
I think the problem was planting too early, so when it wanted to set
out fruit it was too cold yet.

However, I've heard reports here that even if you start your plants a
month early, they'll produce fruit when the others do. (Something with
sunlight and temperature, I guess.)

You may want to check out hybrids such as Early Girl and see if they do
what you want. I'm going to, college graduation's going to play havoc
with gardening this summer.

Puckdropper

Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4 Mar 2007 23:39:19 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

I'm going to plant tomatoes from seed this year rather than buy plants.
I'd also like to have them ready by the middle of July ...

Based on somewhat limited experience, my opinion is that stuff doesn't
start growing outdoors until the soil gets warm. Here (central NY, zone
5-ish), that seems to be mid- to late June. There's a soil temp map at
http://www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx, which is pretty
interesting, whether my model is right or not.

Anyway, if I wanted to get early yield outdoors, I'd put some sort of
cover over the plants.

George
Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

If you're just planting them by a window you might end up with weak
leggy plants. Strong like is necessary for large healthy plants. Now
if you have lots of windows facing south or a greenhouse or even a
cold frame, than starting lots of seed is OK.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 4, 6:39 pm, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
I'm going to plant tomatoes from seed this year rather than buy plants.
I'd also like to have them ready by the middle of July which is about 6
weeks earlier then usual (I live in Massachusetts). My plan is to start
them indoors in peat pots and then start transplanting in late April.
I'll put a few plants in the ground each week until the danger of frost
has passed, I figure I'll have a massive surplus of plants so I can
afford to waste some, if the earliest get killed I'll just replace them.
My question is how many weeks before I do my first planting should I
start the seeds? Should I stagger when I put the seeds in pots or can I
just let some of the plants stay in pots for an extra month?

As others have said, you might as well start all tomatoes now, then
starting mid-april put out some plants. Two things I suggest:

1) there are plenty of warm days before last frost. If you can arrange
so that you can take them out on sunny days (you can leave them out,
covered, if the night is not too cold), that would help. Inside, they
will develop weakly due to a lack of light. Outside, on my south-
exposed patio, they do well in April. In the last few years in
Michigan, they have needed to get back in the house only a few times a
month.
2) you should cover those in the ground on particularly cold nights. A
water bucket near them will help. No mulch around them, so the ground
can offer some thermal ballast, will also help. Mulch them in June
when the ground has warmed.

Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
i spoke too soon: mad Ponds 14 01-04-2003 06:44 AM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM
Is it too soon to fertilize? JimS. Roses 4 08-02-2003 08:25 PM