Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default Lawnmower; repair or replace?

Re mower.
Is it a four stroke or two stroke? Four strokes outlast any 2 stroke and
are less prone to trouble. Look in the work shop . Most repairs are 2
strokes.
If you have to ask if you can repair it, it is too hard.
Basic things like change spark plug, empty out fuel and check for water
contamination, clean air filter you should do yourself.
A mower shop would only charge around $75 to $90 for this (tune up)and
give an up to date report on further condition. As well they may even
suggest a new mower, and you could then ask b4 doing the work for their
opinion. It would pay to get a safety check under all circumstances if
youre not comfortable doing any of this. Saves loosing your foot perhaps.

Terryc wrote:
The old Victa lawmmover (B&S engine) is about 20 years old. It sill
starts okay, but needs to run for 10-15 minutes before I can open the
throttle[1].

Worth repairing or should I just replace it?

If i replace it, is it hard to self-repair? I'm thinking it might be new
rings to seal worn cylinder, etc and am wondering how difficult that is
to do for a single cylinder engine? Probably use it as a home made
generator/battery charger.

[1] Not a problem if I just want to take the top off at the higheast
setting.