Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default Lawnmower; repair or replace?

Terryc wrote:
Jonno wrote:
Re mower.
Is it a four stroke or two stroke?

4 stroke.

If you have to ask if you can repair it, it is too hard.

I've always been impressed by the simpleness of older lawn mower
engines, and my engine knowledge says there isn't anything complicated
under the head. Between, lawnmowers, mulcher and chain saws, I've
stripped down and cleaned everything but, so if it was a write-off then
there wasn't going to be anything to loose and I might learn something.

If it was going to be like a car engine where it needed a rebore and new
pistons then TAFE can have it for their scrap bins.

Nobody else can read this SHOO!! Private conversation only!!!! Go away!!!

For your eyes only Secret Men's business!!!!!
HERE WE GO
OK Being a four stroke, its a little more complicated but also may be
worth looking at and learning from.

Don't be intimidated.

Do what I suggested change plug, air cleaner and fuel first. Those are
basic things that need to be in order before you can even start looking
for faults.
Empty out the fuel tank, and pour the fuel from the tank into a clear
jar to see how dirty it is.

Pour in a little metho into the fuel tank. To clear out any water which
may be causing the problem.
Fuel cans can cause problems if left outside and water collects in the
rim of the petrol can with dew and rain,, and gets siphoned into the
petrol. Never ever leave the fuel can outside for that reason.
The capacitor on the magneto may be faulty. You cant test it at home but
can replace it anyway. The points should be set at the right gap. Borrow
a book on mowers from the local library if youre lucky.