Old 06-03-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Spring pruning and feeding

"Minelli Family" wrote in message
Here in zone 6, upper south they're just starting to leaf out. I
pruned them
last week. Will fertilize, add compost and mulch them during the
next warm
spell. Too much trouble with black spot so we wont replace any more
that
die.

I would like to cut back on the number of
roses I have. Easiest way to do that is
not replace ones that die. Of course, every
year I say that, and every year I buy new
roses to replace dead ones!

I'm lucky in that blackspot is not a major
problem in my area, which is good because
I don't like to spray. But I have noticed
that some roses get almost no blackspot,
whereas others get a lot. If you decide to
keep roses, you might check for varieties
that are more resistant to blackspot.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA