Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Tree moving question

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:36:19 -0800, "Ook" Ook Don't send me
any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me
any freakin' spam wrote:

Many years ago I tried to move a few wild dogwoods off a vacant lot
out back to my front yard. I recall a big tap root. Only one, that I
dug fairly deep to get most of root survived. May be best to just cut
it down. I also had a couple of dogwoods out back that got shaded
over the years and had to be cut down.

Frank

This one is directoy north of a huge pine tree, and does not get much sun.
Here is a pic of it:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8093.jpg

The tree on the left shades it most of the day, the tree on the right shades
it later in the afternoon. It's not really a very robust tree. I'm not that
much in love with it, cutting it down sounds better and better. I've planted
a dozen trees already, loosing one won't upset that balance of things in my
overgrown yard.

Dogwoods are understory trees, it is growing where it should
be, in the shade.

Some links:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/Landown...pecies=florida

http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/cornus_f.cfm