Old 06-03-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Tree moving question

I have a dogwood tree that is about 15 feet tall with a trunk of 5 inch
diameter. I would like to move it, but I'm not sure I can without killing
it. How big of a root ball would you think I would have to dig up to move it
without killing it?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
news
I have a dogwood tree that is about 15 feet tall with a trunk of 5 inch
diameter. I would like to move it, but I'm not sure I can without killing
it. How big of a root ball would you think I would have to dig up to move
it without killing it?

Root ball rule: 10 inches out for each inch of trunk diameter. Tie a twine
loop (loose) around the trunk, measure out 50 inches and tie a stick at the
end of the twine at this mark. Walk around the tree to make a nice scratchy
circle on the ground and that's where you start digging.....down. This is
NOT going to be a one person job. IF you can get a tow truck back to where
your tree is you can make a sling around the base of the trunk and have the
truck lift it and move it to where it's going......if logistics permit. If
not you'll need to find the day labor employment agency used when the
pyramids were built. Soak the ground pretty good for a few days before you
dig, it's easier on the tree and the shovel technician. It's also best to
move the tree when dormant.

Have fun!

Val

Old 06-03-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"Val" wrote in message

[...]

OUch. I was afraid of that. This tree is not worth that much to me. I either
chop it down, or leave it up against a fence (that will soone be build where
it stands).

Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 6, 1:56 am, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at
"Val" wrote in message

[...]

it stands).- Hide quoted text -

Many years ago I tried to move a few wild dogwoods off a vacant lot
out back to my front yard. I recall a big tap root. Only one, that I
dug fairly deep to get most of root survived. May be best to just cut
it down. I also had a couple of dogwoods out back that got shaded
over the years and had to be cut down.

Frank

Old 06-03-2007, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" wrote in message

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
news I have a dogwood tree that is about 15 feet tall with a trunk of 5 inch
[...]

I'd look into replacing it with a Kousa.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...s-new/cornus_k
ousa.html

Different colors and bloom times. Whiteflower has a pink for $69 USD.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/cgi-l...sa&name.x=11&n
ame.y=9&name=Go

http://www.kousadogwood.com/

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ogwood&ie=UTF-
8&oe=UTF-8

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 06-03-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Many years ago I tried to move a few wild dogwoods off a vacant lot
out back to my front yard. I recall a big tap root. Only one, that I
dug fairly deep to get most of root survived. May be best to just cut
it down. I also had a couple of dogwoods out back that got shaded
over the years and had to be cut down.

Frank

This one is directoy north of a huge pine tree, and does not get much sun.
Here is a pic of it:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8093.jpg

The tree on the left shades it most of the day, the tree on the right shades
it later in the afternoon. It's not really a very robust tree. I'm not that
much in love with it, cutting it down sounds better and better. I've planted
a dozen trees already, loosing one won't upset that balance of things in my
overgrown yard.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:36:19 -0800, "Ook" Ook Don't send me
any freakin' spam wrote:

Many years ago I tried to move a few wild dogwoods off a vacant lot
out back to my front yard. I recall a big tap root. Only one, that I
dug fairly deep to get most of root survived. May be best to just cut
it down. I also had a couple of dogwoods out back that got shaded
over the years and had to be cut down.

Frank

This one is directoy north of a huge pine tree, and does not get much sun.
Here is a pic of it:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8093.jpg

The tree on the left shades it most of the day, the tree on the right shades
it later in the afternoon. It's not really a very robust tree. I'm not that
much in love with it, cutting it down sounds better and better. I've planted
a dozen trees already, loosing one won't upset that balance of things in my
overgrown yard.

Dogwoods are understory trees, it is growing where it should
be, in the shade.

Some links:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/Landown...pecies=florida

http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/cornus_f.cfm

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/c/corflo/corflo1.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

The bigger the better. Prune all roots injured by hand with a sharp tool.
prune them like the end of a straw. Straight accross. Crushed roots
(woody) lead to deacay.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hmm...any bets on whether my rododendron will survive? I removed it, and my
9 year old threw a fit (long story), so I agreed to plant the remains. It
was fairly large, and this is all that is left - a root mass with a few
growing branches sticking up. I'd be surprised if it survived, but you never
know. The cut off ends you see on the lower left side of the pic were roots,
not branches. Some idiot planted it in a very bad place, and it got huge, so
I had to remove it.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8116.jpg

"symplastless" wrote in message
The bigger the better. Prune all roots injured by hand with a sharp tool.
prune them like the end of a straw. Straight accross. Crushed roots
(woody) lead to deacay.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
news
I have a dogwood tree that is about 15 feet tall with a trunk of 5 inch
diameter. I would like to move it, but I'm not sure I can without killing
it. How big of a root ball would you think I would have to dig up to move
it without killing it?

[IMG] code is On

Question on moving bamboo plant geronimo Gardening 3 25-06-2009 03:36 AM
Question on moving Phlox Jethro Lawns 0 26-09-2006 01:57 PM
LINDA WEST of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts without there Knowledge. Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Movers & Relocation Dublin,ca & concord,ca 925) 876-7441, 925-887- vinkovci United Kingdom 1 11-10-2005 10:48 PM
MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond Judi9000 Ponds 9 25-05-2004 03:02 AM
Moving outside question William Orchids 8 29-06-2003 08:56 AM