Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Minelli Family Minelli Family is offline

Default Spring pruning and feeding

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Minelli Family" wrote in message
Here in zone 6, upper south they're just starting to leaf out. I pruned
them
last week. Will fertilize, add compost and mulch them during the next
warm
spell. Too much trouble with black spot so we wont replace any more that
die.

I would like to cut back on the number of
roses I have. Easiest way to do that is
not replace ones that die. Of course, every
year I say that, and every year I buy new
roses to replace dead ones!

I'm lucky in that blackspot is not a major
problem in my area, which is good because
I don't like to spray. But I have noticed
that some roses get almost no blackspot,
whereas others get a lot. If you decide to
keep roses, you might check for varieties
that are more resistant to blackspot.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

I have looked in my area and found none. Just the usual hybrid teas and
grandafloras. Both prone to early death no matter how much spraying is done.
The one nursery that carried the other types, the wild types closed several
years ago. With both of us retired now it's too costly to buy them mail
order. I'll care for what we have and when they're gone they're gone.