Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Concern about mulch/compost

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 04:58:07 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

Perhaps I am being over cautious, but I won't get compost made at landfill
sites from wood products, nor much either.

The reason is concern about Oak Wilt. Who knows anything about the tree
limbs brought into a landfill? Some may be from diseased trees. I have
read that even burning wood from diseased trees can spread the disease
through the smoke. If this is true and I don't know if it is, then
composting diseased wood isn't going to kill the disease if burning doesn't.
With mulch being raw wood, I think, there is the same concern.

Am I being overly cautious?

Bob

No, you aren't being overly cautious. I had the same questions, and I
have old growth live oaks well over 200 years old. I took the mulch,
composted a lot of it, used a lot of it on my beds; at least four
cubic yards or more. You have to know I do not want to lose my trees.

If you turn the pile often enough, add enough green matter to supply
the pile with nitrogen, and keep it hot by this regular turning it
will kill pathogens, no doubt.