Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 AM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default Concern about mulch/compost

Perhaps I am being over cautious, but I won't get compost made at landfill
sites from wood products, nor much either.

The reason is concern about Oak Wilt. Who knows anything about the tree
limbs brought into a landfill? Some may be from diseased trees. I have
read that even burning wood from diseased trees can spread the disease
through the smoke. If this is true and I don't know if it is, then
composting diseased wood isn't going to kill the disease if burning doesn't.
With mulch being raw wood, I think, there is the same concern.

Am I being overly cautious?

Bob

Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 04:58:07 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

Perhaps I am being over cautious, but I won't get compost made at landfill
sites from wood products, nor much either.

The reason is concern about Oak Wilt. Who knows anything about the tree
limbs brought into a landfill? Some may be from diseased trees. I have
read that even burning wood from diseased trees can spread the disease
through the smoke. If this is true and I don't know if it is, then
composting diseased wood isn't going to kill the disease if burning doesn't.
With mulch being raw wood, I think, there is the same concern.

Am I being overly cautious?

Bob

No, you aren't being overly cautious. I had the same questions, and I
have old growth live oaks well over 200 years old. I took the mulch,
composted a lot of it, used a lot of it on my beds; at least four
cubic yards or more. You have to know I do not want to lose my trees.

If you turn the pile often enough, add enough green matter to supply
the pile with nitrogen, and keep it hot by this regular turning it
will kill pathogens, no doubt.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

It also helps to know if your area has oak wilt and where I live, the
closest it's been found is several miles away. I use the mulch, which
has been composted and boiling hot on beds which are nowhere near live
oaks. I also have a bur oak. The pathogen does not spread from smoke
of infected wood.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Perhaps I am being over cautious, but I won't get compost made at landfill
sites from wood products, nor much either.

The reason is concern about Oak Wilt. Who knows anything about the tree
limbs brought into a landfill? Some may be from diseased trees. I have
read that even burning wood from diseased trees can spread the disease
through the smoke. If this is true and I don't know if it is, then
composting diseased wood isn't going to kill the disease if burning doesn't.
With mulch being raw wood, I think, there is the same concern.

Am I being overly cautious?

Bob

As you can learn at the link Cliff provided, the fungus that causes
oak wilt is highly sensitive to heat and drying. Mulch and sawdust
are not viable means of transmission of the disease (well, maybe in
the rain on a day with perfect temperatures, but realistically . . .).

Further, chips from live oak are not going to carry any oak wilt
spores. Fungal mats can only form on red oaks (the group, not just
whichever local species you may call "Red Oak"). This would include
what's locally called Texas Oak, Red Oak, Spanish Oak, Shumard Oak,
and Blackjack Oak. It's a crazy long shot that spores will be carried
from one tree to another by insects or wind. I am not suggesting you
disregard recommendations to prevent it (in fact, a study from A&M
that confirms the importance of painting pruning wounds even when they
are made properly outside the branch collar was published in the most
recent ISA journal), but just be aware that it's not quite as likely
as you may think.

More likely is that mulch will carry insects pests or some other
disease. Some caution as to the source of the mulch is in order, but
properly composted mulch should not be a problem regardless, nor mulch
made from healthy trees.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT