Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default Masdevallia velifera

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:28:03 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:

John,

I've seen this species in bloom over a wide range of months here in the Bay
Area.

My first introduction to M. velifera was by smell, not by sight. I thought
it was kitty poo at first, since the grower (Dan Newman) had a wonderful
greenhouse cat.

Stunning coloring and shape, even if the smell is foul.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

I have met some 'foul' smellers who do not smell in small gh growing
conditions. I don't know if it is the lack of proper air movement or
something else. I have had it demonstrated that in gh no smell - same
clone out of gh -- not 5 feet away but outside the gh -- stench.

Any chance this one is so accommodating?
SuE