Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB[_4_] JB[_4_] is offline

Default Can I plant a hedge here

On 7 Mar, 15:25, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

t...

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy
I mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have
uncovered these steps.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

They're lovely! Can't you keep them as a feature?

Mary

That is exactly what I had hoped to do, the problem is they lead from a far
point of the garden down into the public grounds surrounding the old hall
(now registry office, town hall, library, council office) from which the
ground was sold for our house to be built back in 1935. This area is
somewhat of a playground for local youngsters, and many not so young hang
around there. Outwardly they are all very pleasant but, they do keep coming
into the garden, not really doing any harm, but clowning around, climbing
the walls, leaving rubbish (they once left next doors garden chair behind)
and that sort of thing. So despite originally planning on opening up the
steps, re-laying the old path, and adding a foot gate as a second entrance
we would now like to develop a thick hedge backed by a wire fence to keep
our dogs in and the local youngsters out.

Mikewww.farend.org.uk

Sounds like this is turning into one of those jobs that will need to
be tackled over the Easter weekend. Good luck and be careful not to
strain your back with the heavy lifting.

JB