Old 07-03-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I plant a hedge here

Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy I
mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have uncovered
these steps.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

If I use rocks to raise the level from the bottom step, then infill over the
steps with soil I will end up with about 18 inch deep soil at the point
where I want to plant the hedge. Does the collective wisdom think my new
hedging plants will be ok with that? Or do I have to start some very heavy
step demolition first.

Mike

Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Mar, 12:33, "Muddymike" wrote:
Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy I
mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have uncovered
these steps.http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

If I use rocks to raise the level from the bottom step, then infill over the
steps with soil I will end up with about 18 inch deep soil at the point
where I want to plant the hedge. Does the collective wisdom think my new
hedging plants will be ok with that? Or do I have to start some very heavy
step demolition first.

Mike

I would be inclined to get a good crowbar and lift the 2nd, 3rd, and
4th steps and use thwn to form a wall t5o hold the soil in, then fill
with soil and plant your hedge.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Mar, 12:33, "Muddymike" wrote:
Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy
mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have
uncovered
these
steps.http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

Mike

I would be inclined to get a good crowbar and lift the 2nd, 3rd, and
4th steps and use thwn to form a wall t5o hold the soil in, then fill
with soil and plant your hedge.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Hmm, sounds like I shall have to enlist a bit of help from my son, the old
back does not like the sound of good crowbar work these days. Particularly
as these steps are built form what appear to be old concrete railway track
supports. I did try lifting one with a pickaxe and they are B heavy.

Mike
www.farend.org.uk

Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy I
mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have
uncovered these steps.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

They're lovely! Can't you keep them as a feature?

Mary

Old 07-03-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy
I mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have
uncovered these steps.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

They're lovely! Can't you keep them as a feature?

Mary

That is exactly what I had hoped to do, the problem is they lead from a far
point of the garden down into the public grounds surrounding the old hall
(now registry office, town hall, library, council office) from which the
ground was sold for our house to be built back in 1935. This area is
somewhat of a playground for local youngsters, and many not so young hang
around there. Outwardly they are all very pleasant but, they do keep coming
into the garden, not really doing any harm, but clowning around, climbing
the walls, leaving rubbish (they once left next doors garden chair behind)
and that sort of thing. So despite originally planning on opening up the
steps, re-laying the old path, and adding a foot gate as a second entrance
we would now like to develop a thick hedge backed by a wire fence to keep
our dogs in and the local youngsters out.

Mike
www.farend.org.uk

Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 7, 1:59 pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I'd tend to say that 18" would be enough.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like this is turning into one of those jobs that will need to
be tackled over the Easter weekend. Good luck and be careful not to
strain your back with the heavy lifting.

JB

Old 27-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddymike View Post
Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy I
mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have uncovered
these steps.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

If I use rocks to raise the level from the bottom step, then infill over the
steps with soil I will end up with about 18 inch deep soil at the point
where I want to plant the hedge. Does the collective wisdom think my new
hedging plants will be ok with that? Or do I have to start some very heavy
step demolition first.

Mike
We grow and sell stacks of laurel hedging. 18" will be plenty for them unless you are planning on a hedge that is about 20' tall.... What you might want to watch out for are the roots. Laurel is not as bad as stuff like willow and poplar, but its roots do get around and if your steps are not solid.....

Good luck
John
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk