Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Hellebores Help Please

"Sue" wrote in message

"Leslie" wrote
Hello
My hellebores which were excellent plants last year were replanted

This in a different part of the garden, they look sad and poorly

Not like the others that I left behind which are blooming and have
been for weeks

Would this be a soil problem do you think, if so what are the best
soil types

Hellebores are lovely aren't they? They usually do well in a soil has
plenty of organic matter incorporated - compost, leaf mould or whatever.
A shady or partially shaded place seems to suit them, although they can
cope with a sunnier aspect if there's enough moisture. Have you perhaps
moved them to a drier area?

--
Sue

They are famous for not liking being moved, so like peonies will take awhile
to settle. Its why the nice ones are so expensive, splitting clumps is not
an options so most are f1 hybrid seedlings (i.e. seed that gives a
consistent outcome)
which means hand pollination.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.