Old 09-03-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hellebores Help Please

Hello
My hellebores which were excellent plants last year were replanted

This in a different part of the garden, they look sad and poorly

Not like the others that I left behind which are blooming and have been for
weeks

Would this be a soil problem do you think, if so what are the best soil
types

Thanks for your input

.................Leslie

Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Leslie" wrote
Hello
My hellebores which were excellent plants last year were replanted

This in a different part of the garden, they look sad and poorly

Not like the others that I left behind which are blooming and have
been for weeks

Would this be a soil problem do you think, if so what are the best
soil types

Hellebores are lovely aren't they? They usually do well in a soil has
plenty of organic matter incorporated - compost, leaf mould or whatever.
A shady or partially shaded place seems to suit them, although they can
cope with a sunnier aspect if there's enough moisture. Have you perhaps
moved them to a drier area?

--
Sue

Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Mar, 18:57, "Leslie" wrote:
Hello
My hellebores which were excellent plants last year were replanted

This in a different part of the garden, they look sad and poorly

Not like the others that I left behind which are blooming and have been for
weeks

Would this be a soil problem do you think, if so what are the best soil
types

Thanks for your input

.................Leslie

They don't take kindly to being moved.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 20:51, "Dave Hill" wrote:
They don't take kindly to being moved.

I've never had hellebores, but get them for a friend. She's mad about
them. Though, I think I have just changed my mind. I've seen the
'Whashfield Doubles' mixed recently and I'm in love (these and the
Lisianthus 'Pink Ice'). What is happening to me?!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message

"Leslie" wrote
Hello
My hellebores which were excellent plants last year were replanted

This in a different part of the garden, they look sad and poorly

Not like the others that I left behind which are blooming and have
been for weeks

Would this be a soil problem do you think, if so what are the best
soil types

Hellebores are lovely aren't they? They usually do well in a soil has
plenty of organic matter incorporated - compost, leaf mould or whatever.
A shady or partially shaded place seems to suit them, although they can
cope with a sunnier aspect if there's enough moisture. Have you perhaps
moved them to a drier area?

--
Sue

They are famous for not liking being moved, so like peonies will take awhile
to settle. Its why the nice ones are so expensive, splitting clumps is not
an options so most are f1 hybrid seedlings (i.e. seed that gives a
consistent outcome)
which means hand pollination.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:57:53 -0000, "Leslie"
wrote:

Hello
My hellebores which were excellent plants last year were replanted

This in a different part of the garden, they look sad and poorly

Not like the others that I left behind which are blooming and have been for
weeks

Would this be a soil problem do you think, if so what are the best soil
types

Thanks for your input

When did you move them?
Are they the orientalis aka hybidus variety?
Heard a lecture recently by a hellebore expert (Diana Guy who won BBC
Gardener of the year a couple of years ago who has a wonderful
collection).
She said that these make the most root growth in autumn and winter,
therefore they should be moved at the end of summer, and then make new
roots in their new positions.
Other varieties make growth in summer.
They do best in light shade but I have a patch in full sun on my
allotment which are very well established with no shade at all.
Keep your sad ones shaded and watered and they should pull through.
Good luck

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

They are famous for not liking being moved, so like peonies will take
awhile to settle. Its why the nice ones are so expensive, splitting
clumps is not an options so most are f1 hybrid seedlings (i.e. seed
that gives a consistent outcome) which means hand pollination.

This is worth knowing since I'm about to plant some more. Most things in
my garden seem to shift home once or twice at the very least!

Do the posh hybrids set seed worth keeping at all? My father was
complaining the other day that he hadn't found any seedlings under the
ones he planted last year. Perhaps they germinate later?

--
Sue

Old 11-03-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

They are famous for not liking being moved, so like peonies will take
awhile to settle. Its why the nice ones are so expensive, splitting
clumps is not an options so most are f1 hybrid seedlings (i.e. seed
that gives a consistent outcome) which means hand pollination.

This is worth knowing since I'm about to plant some more. Most things in
my garden seem to shift home once or twice at the very least!

Do the posh hybrids set seed worth keeping at all? My father was
complaining the other day that he hadn't found any seedlings under the
ones he planted last year. Perhaps they germinate later?

We have 4 plants that grew from what appear to be seedlings from one
original plant that was on its own in a border. It took a few years for any
seedlings to appear. The original plant was bought from a garden centre and
had dark maroon mottled flowers. The seedlings were potted up and then we
moved house and took them with us. We now have two plants that look like
the parent, plus one with white flowers and one that is the same colour as
the parent but with odd shaped "petals". They are all worth having. That
was quite a successful experiment as far as I am concerned. They were also
very slow to get going, in keeping with earlier comments.

Des in Dublin

--
Sue

Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
news

"Sue" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

[...]

I am with Des, there is no such thing as bad hellebore! If you sow seed
fresh in summer as soon as ripe it will germinate between Christmas and News
years day, seedlings will reach flowering size in 3 years if potted on at
intervals

Old 13-03-2007, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Des Higgins" wrote
[...]

Thanks chaps. I've got a few of my own potted up from last year but
shall have a go with some more and see what they all turn out like.
P'raps my father's plants will provide seedlings this time around. I
wonder if could have been the mild winter that led to no germination of
seedlings for him? They are only coming up to their first year in his
garden but were good strong nursery grown beauties. He says he hasn't
weeded any out in error.

--
Sue

Old 13-03-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/3/07 09:54, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

snip

Thanks chaps. I've got a few of my own potted up from last year but
shall have a go with some more and see what they all turn out like.
P'raps my father's plants will provide seedlings this time around. I
wonder if could have been the mild winter that led to no germination of
seedlings for him? They are only coming up to their first year in his
garden but were good strong nursery grown beauties. He says he hasn't
weeded any out in error.

Some years ago a knowledgeable gardener suggested to me that growing
hellebores on top of a wall or bank was a nice idea. Then one can look up
into their pretty centres and appreciate them all the more.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk