Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Hellebores Help Please

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:57:53 -0000, "Leslie"
wrote:

Hello
My hellebores which were excellent plants last year were replanted

This in a different part of the garden, they look sad and poorly

Not like the others that I left behind which are blooming and have been for
weeks

Would this be a soil problem do you think, if so what are the best soil
types

Thanks for your input

When did you move them?
Are they the orientalis aka hybidus variety?
Heard a lecture recently by a hellebore expert (Diana Guy who won BBC
Gardener of the year a couple of years ago who has a wonderful
collection).
She said that these make the most root growth in autumn and winter,
therefore they should be moved at the end of summer, and then make new
roots in their new positions.
Other varieties make growth in summer.
They do best in light shade but I have a patch in full sun on my
allotment which are very well established with no shade at all.
Keep your sad ones shaded and watered and they should pull through.
Good luck

Pam in Bristol