Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default wild fruit

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Tim W" contains
these words:

I had the idea thismorning of attempting to cultivate garden fruit from
local wild stock. There are some very good wild rasberries in the woods
nearby, and I know where some gooseberries are growing in a hedge - is it
possible that they are wild? I have never heard of wild goosberries, but
hey, they are goosberries and tasty. What would be the best procedure for
getting these into my garden? Grow from seed? Cuttings? Digging up whole
plants? What time of year and what advice?

Not wild, just feral. I've always propagated gooseberries from
cuttings. When I'm shaping the bush, I put all the cuttings
into a pot, and what takes gets given to anyone who wants it/them.
Gooseberry cuttings root really well.

Raspberries? TBH wild raspberries are such puny wee things, compared
to the cultivated varieties, that it's scarcely worth the trouble.
They also tend to be a bit uncontrollable, and spread all over the place.

Just haul up a cane or two, if you fancy trying it. Once the cane has
fruited, cut it back to the ground, and a new cane will take over.
Try to keep them under control, or you're neighbours will have rasps
in their gardens in no time at all...that's how I got mine, and I'm
still trying to eradicate them, almost 40 years down the line...

Hi Anne:
I agree with all of that (cuttings for gooseberries and wild rasberries not
worth the hassle) but I have a silly question and you seem good at cuttings:
can you propagate rasberries by cuttings? Digging up canes seems the usual
method but I have a couple of plants that I would like to turn into a dozen
as fast as possible and cuttings seem faster in that case?
Des

--
AnneJ

"Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live Forever On Your Knees"
Dolores Ibaruri (La Passionaria)