Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Advise on courgettes growing

On Mar 12, 1:02 pm, "Des Higgins" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

ps.com...
On 12 Mar, 11:09, "Des Higgins" wrote:

I would keep well away from garden centres for the plants, one near us
was charging £1.75 for one tomato plant last year and £1.50 for a
marrow plant.

I agree it is exorbitant compared to planting yer own seeds but I did it
this was for teh past two years out of pampering myself as it simplified
seed sowing at a busy time of year. They certainly grow easily from seed.

I managed to grow 4 healthy plants from seed last year, and 3 the year
before that. The year before, I was drowning in courgettes. Last
summer, I got 1 which I had to pick at finger size or else run the
risk to see it rot on the plant.
The plants did very poorly, partly perhaps because they were not in
full sun, and partly because the summer was rubbish to grow most veg -
my only remarkable success last year were broad beans.

Cat(h)