Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advise on courgettes growing

I would like to grow courgettes, just few plants in pots, but I don't have a
greenhouse.
The aim is to get flowers, is it possible to grow them outside? And when
should they be sown/planted?

Grateful for any advise.

MG

Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"comescoglio940" wrote in message
I would like to grow courgettes, just few plants in pots, but I don't have
a greenhouse.
The aim is to get flowers, is it possible to grow them outside? And when
should they be sown/planted?

They grow easily outdoors. They get very big so you will eventually need
decent sized pots. The main restriction on planting times is that they are
tender so you have to wait until end of April/May or so before sowing as
frost would do them in. The simplest is to buy a few seedlings in mid May
as garden centres have loads of them but they grow very easily from seed
anyway.

Des

Grateful for any advise.

MG

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 12 Mar, 11:09, "Des Higgins" wrote:
"comescoglio940" wrote in message

I would like to grow courgettes, just few plants in pots, but I don't have
a greenhouse.
The aim is to get flowers, is it possible to grow them outside? And when
should they be sown/planted?

They grow easily outdoors. They get very big so you will eventually need
decent sized pots. The main restriction on planting times is that they are
tender so you have to wait until end of April/May or so before sowing as
frost would do them in. The simplest is to buy a few seedlings in mid May
as garden centres have loads of them but they grow very easily from seed
anyway.

Des

Grateful for any advise.

MG

I would keep well away from garden centres for the plants, one near us
was charging £1.75 for one tomato plant last year and £1.50 for a
marrow plant.
Get your self a packet of seed, plant 2 seeds to a pot in the house
at the end of April, then the same again 10 days later as insurance.
As soon as they are through put them on a light window sill till you
see the first true leaves showing, Transfer them to a large pot 8
inches or so, then you can either
1. Stand the pots outside through the day and bring them in over
night for the first couple of weeks, them move them into pots of 12
inches or more.

2. Pot them straight into 12 inch + pots. put 4 canes round the sides
of the pots and place a clear polythene bag over them to act as a
greenhouse. it the bag is long enough have it open top and bottom, in
the day open the top and lift the side an inch or so above the top of
the pot.
In the evening pull the bag down below the rim of the pot, and tie the
top closed.
Keep this on till the plants are to big for your "Greenhouse".
You can also use this method for tomatoes, peppers etc. it just gives
them a couple of weeks head start.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 12 Mar, 11:09, "Des Higgins" wrote:

I would keep well away from garden centres for the plants, one near us
was charging £1.75 for one tomato plant last year and £1.50 for a
marrow plant.

I agree it is exorbitant compared to planting yer own seeds but I did it
this was for teh past two years out of pampering myself as it simplified
seed sowing at a busy time of year. They certainly grow easily from seed.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 12, 1:02 pm, "Des Higgins" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

ps.com...
On 12 Mar, 11:09, "Des Higgins" wrote:

I would keep well away from garden centres for the plants, one near us
was charging £1.75 for one tomato plant last year and £1.50 for a
marrow plant.

I agree it is exorbitant compared to planting yer own seeds but I did it
this was for teh past two years out of pampering myself as it simplified
seed sowing at a busy time of year. They certainly grow easily from seed.

I managed to grow 4 healthy plants from seed last year, and 3 the year
before that. The year before, I was drowning in courgettes. Last
summer, I got 1 which I had to pick at finger size or else run the
risk to see it rot on the plant.
The plants did very poorly, partly perhaps because they were not in
full sun, and partly because the summer was rubbish to grow most veg -
my only remarkable success last year were broad beans.

Cat(h)

Old 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Des Higgins writes

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 12 Mar, 11:09, "Des Higgins" wrote:

I would keep well away from garden centres for the plants, one near us
was charging £1.75 for one tomato plant last year and £1.50 for a
marrow plant.

I agree it is exorbitant compared to planting yer own seeds but I did it
this was for teh past two years out of pampering myself as it simplified
seed sowing at a busy time of year. They certainly grow easily from seed.

But it'll cost you at least that for a packet of seed, and if you only
want one plant....

Agreed, you can save the packet of seeds and plant another next year and
another the year after that.

--
Kay
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 12 Mar, 11:09, "Des Higgins" wrote:
"comescoglio940" wrote in message

I would like to grow courgettes, just few plants in pots, but I don't
have
a greenhouse.
The aim is to get flowers, is it possible to grow them outside? And when
should they be sown/planted?

They grow easily outdoors. snip good advice

Just to add that the flowers are in my opinion anyway a lot better to eat
than the courgettes. Also if you want a longer supply pick each courgette as
it flowers and you will get more.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

But it'll cost you at least that for a packet of seed, and if you only
want one plant....

Agreed, you can save the packet of seeds and plant another next year and
another the year after that.

--
Kay

If you have Aldi or Lidl near you they do seeds for around 30p a
packet and they sell a nice round courgette (or Zucini) I like to
leave a few to form marrows as they are great when making stuffed
marrow for 1.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 13-03-2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 12, 6:31 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
But it'll cost you at least that for a packet of seed, and if you only
want one plant....

Agreed, you can save the packet of seeds and plant another next year and
another the year after that.

--
Kay

If you have Aldi or Lidl near you they do seeds for around 30p a
packet and they sell a nice round courgette (or Zucini) I like to
leave a few to form marrows as they are great when making stuffed
marrow for 1.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I grew those very ones two summers ago ina nice full sun location, and
they fruited magnificently for me - too much so, as the neighbours
started running as fast as they could any time they saw me...
I grew some "normal" shaped ones last year in a part-shady spot, and
whether that was the problem, or whether the poor summer weather did
not agree with them, I got almost nothing (1 finger size courgette,
eaten raw there and then).

Cat(h)