Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Greenhouse Repairs

Stephen wrote:
I have a Hall's Popular Mark III Greenhouse and am taking all the
glazing out and then going to re-seat on tanilized timber frame on a
concrete base, and re-glaze.

All of the old retaining clips were the wire type - some stainless and
still OK - others not - very corroded. I see that you can get
different type of clips for retaining the glass - any recommendations?

Is it worth replacing the glazing strip?

Any ideas/suggestions as how to make a good job/improve things - also
any online supplier recommended.

My dad built a timber framed one which lasted well over 20 years, - the roof
timbers he covered with flashband[1] cut into three inch strips, which went
over onto the glass by about half an inch on each side....it was pressed
down firmly into position with a wallpaper seam roller on a stick.

[1]
Flashband is basically tinfoil with a sticky 2mm thick bitumenous backing,
it's used in place of lead on rooves, or to cover holes in slates/tiles etc,
it comes in rolls 9 inch to 12 inches wide and about 10m long

It sticks down better when the surface is bone dry, and preferably hot