Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse Repairs

I have a Hall's Popular Mark III Greenhouse and am taking all the
glazing out and then going to re-seat on tanilized timber frame on a
concrete base, and re-glaze.

All of the old retaining clips were the wire type - some stainless and
still OK - others not - very corroded. I see that you can get
different type of clips for retaining the glass - any recommendations?

Is it worth replacing the glazing strip?

Any ideas/suggestions as how to make a good job/improve things - also
any online supplier recommended.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen wrote:
I have a Hall's Popular Mark III Greenhouse and am taking all the
glazing out and then going to re-seat on tanilized timber frame on a
concrete base, and re-glaze.

All of the old retaining clips were the wire type - some stainless and
still OK - others not - very corroded. I see that you can get
different type of clips for retaining the glass - any recommendations?

Is it worth replacing the glazing strip?

Any ideas/suggestions as how to make a good job/improve things - also
any online supplier recommended.

My dad built a timber framed one which lasted well over 20 years, - the roof
timbers he covered with flashband[1] cut into three inch strips, which went
over onto the glass by about half an inch on each side....it was pressed
down firmly into position with a wallpaper seam roller on a stick.

[1]
Flashband is basically tinfoil with a sticky 2mm thick bitumenous backing,
it's used in place of lead on rooves, or to cover holes in slates/tiles etc,
it comes in rolls 9 inch to 12 inches wide and about 10m long

It sticks down better when the surface is bone dry, and preferably hot

Old 12-03-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 12 Mar, 20:00, Stephen wrote:
I have a Hall's Popular Mark III Greenhouse and am taking all the
glazing out and then going to re-seat on tanilized timber frame on a
concrete base, and re-glaze.

All of the old retaining clips were the wire type - some stainless and
still OK - others not - very corroded. I see that you can get
different type of clips for retaining the glass - any recommendations?

Is it worth replacing the glazing strip?

Any ideas/suggestions as how to make a good job/improve things - also
any online supplier recommended.

Depends on the state/nature of the glazing strip, if it's mastic then
definatly replace it.
You could try http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/1.html for bits and
bobs.
I use them a lot

Old 13-03-2007, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

New wire glazing strips are readily available from Focus garden centres,
also they sell the Z clips for joining the top sheet to bottom sheet of
glass.
If the glazing strip you mean is rubber, and perished, or old mastic, you
could put layer of silicon or mastic down and bed glass onto that for better
seal. This is availble in cartridge form for sealant guns.