Old 13-03-2007, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Hellebores Help Please

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Des Higgins" wrote
We have 4 plants that grew from what appear to be seedlings from one
original plant that was on its own in a border. It took a few years
for any seedlings to appear. The original plant was bought from a
garden centre and had dark maroon mottled flowers. The seedlings
were potted up and then we moved house and took them with us. We now
have two plants that look like the parent, plus one with white
flowers and one that is the same colour as the parent but with odd
shaped "petals". They are all worth having. That was quite a
successful experiment as far as I am concerned. They were also very
slow to get going, in keeping with earlier comments.

I am with Des, there is no such thing as bad hellebore! If you sow
seed fresh in summer as soon as ripe it will germinate between
Christmas and News years day, seedlings will reach flowering size in 3
years if potted on at intervals

Thanks chaps. I've got a few of my own potted up from last year but
shall have a go with some more and see what they all turn out like.
P'raps my father's plants will provide seedlings this time around. I
wonder if could have been the mild winter that led to no germination of
seedlings for him? They are only coming up to their first year in his
garden but were good strong nursery grown beauties. He says he hasn't
weeded any out in error.

--
Sue