Old 14-03-2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc[_2_] bobc[_2_] is offline

Default Phaius hybrid and a couple other questions

Thanks Kathy and Gary .... I appreciate the info. I looked in
Northen's book and found the section on Phaius. I also looked in
Pridgeon's book and it said shade under the general discussion, and
under P tankervillae it said up to full sun. So, I'll start with
bright light and move on from there.
Kathy ... thanks for the link to Eric's site .... well, I'm gonna have
trouble with this plant as it grows - the one on Eric's site looks
huge!!! Bit off somewhat more than I wanted, again! g

I also checked Jay's place and Gastrorchis seems to be a synonym of
Phaius. I was somewhat surprised that a named orchid was available at
my local supermarket ... they occasionally have Phals, less frequently
Paphs, but I've never brought one there before. The vendor's tag (?)
is "Orchid Decor" whoever that is.
I wanted to get a new orchid at the Philly Flower Show, a nice
miniature Pleurothallis perhaps, but didn't see any. My wife and I go
every year to celebrate our anniversary (28 years now), and this year
we invited my parents (my mom's Irish) so we didn't get to spend as
much time as usual in the sales area. So, what to do? I went and
got a three foot monster plant at the supermarket! G
Luckily, I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer,
and I do like the Phaius flower. So I guess I have a couple years at
least to figure out how to steal more window space from the family!
And I thought I was cured .... Silly me!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa
Laelia fidilensis, Christieara (Aer flabellata x Ascnda ...), a couple
noid Phals, a Maudiae type Paph, Lc. Yellowbird, Cochleanthes
amazonica, Onc Twinkle, Neostylis Lou Sneary, and a noid Tillandsia
(but not T. ionantha) in or about to bloom - got to love it!