Old 27-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Shiva

Default Hansa Gets to Stay for Now!

Jane wrote:

Oh No! It sounds like that's the problem! [...] Do you
think it could be anything like damage from the cold temperatures? What
happens when roses freeze?

When I have had cold damage it just dried up and died, kind of brown and
crispy. But we have much milder winters than you do up there most years.

I'm going out to cut those black canes off and look for healthy pith.
Cross your fingers...I may have some bald spots in my
rose bed this year!

I hope not, Jane. Don't be shy about cutting back--I have seen roses
sprout new basals from the bud union. I think you might want to look into
ownroot roses. Once established they can die back to the ground in the
winter and rise in the spring like the Phoenix! I experienced this for the
first time this year with a Harry and David mini that kind of disappeared,
but has now re-emerged as a healthy but tiny new plant. And when all else
fails--remember, $16 for a brand new potted specimen is not bad at all
even if all it does is provide cut flowers for the season! It is all trial
and error.

Let us know how the babies do.