Old 27-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Cass

Default Climbing Red Rose?

tsmay wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking for a red OGR (or several) that I can grow up and around
my front porch. The porch has a couple of steps up to it, so the roof
on it is 16 feet high. I would especially like a highly scented flower
since we spend many an evening out on there. I live in Zone 7 on Long
Island a few long blocks from the beach. I've only just started
gardening but I love the old fasioned roses.
Any recommendations ???

Are you really committed to growing a rose with 20 foot canes that will
require you to climb up a ladder to deadhead, prune and attach to the
house?

You know, winter-hardy, repeat-blooming, red OGR climbers to more than
16 ft. aren't that easy to come by. Most roses of that size are most
often found in mild weather regions or are once-blooming. Paul Scarlet
Climber....doesn't really look like an OGR.

You might be better off with a modern-day imposter, i.e. a more modern
roses with an old-rose look.

Good luck in your quest. I'll be interested to see what others come up
with.

--
-=-
Cass