Old 14-03-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Unknown plant

On 14/3/07 20:53, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 14 Mar, 19:25, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 19:10, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
I bought this plant last year at a local "Shed" it was un-named and
growing as a 24inch standard.
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.unknown
I thought it was a species fuchsia at first but now know it's not,
Any ideas folks?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

At a guess, a Cestrum, possibly Cestrum elegans or maybe C. fasciculatum?

Thanks Sacha,
I would never have thought it would be Cestrum, the tightly packed
flowers and the hairy stems and leaves are so different to the Cestrum
that I have.

It just rang a bell with me because we have a few Cestrums here. We grow C.
Parquii in the garden and it's hardy here. I'd never registered the shape of
the flowers just before they broke, or not consciously, but obviously
somewhere in my brain they'd registered.

Looking on Google there is so much variation in C. elegans it's hard
to believe.

Another instance of people 'grabbing' at an identity, do you think?

I have also learned that Cestrum is a Solanaceae, this is a family
that I seem to be getting quite a good collection of.
One interesting one is PEPINO DULCE (Solanum muricatum Ait.)
this is grown in New Zeland as a commercial crop, and is worth
investigating.
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pepino.html

Like the look of that - does it translate as small sweet pepper?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk