Old 14-03-2007, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Unknown plant

I bought this plant last year at a local "Shed" it was un-named and
growing as a 24inch standard.
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.unknown
I thought it was a species fuchsia at first but now know it's not,
Any ideas folks?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 14-03-2007, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/3/07 19:10, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

I bought this plant last year at a local "Shed" it was un-named and
growing as a 24inch standard.
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.unknown
I thought it was a species fuchsia at first but now know it's not,
Any ideas folks?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

At a guess, a Cestrum, possibly Cestrum elegans or maybe C. fasciculatum?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-03-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Looking at those dark leaves, it is almost certainly Cestrum elegans
'Scarlet Cluster'. A very nice variety and moderately hardy out of
doors in milder regions of the south. It can develop into a pretty
large shrub in time - well over 3m. high and across. As a greenhouse/
conservatory shrub, it lends itself well to container culture and can
be hard-pruned in autumn or spring if it gets out of hand. It also
makes an excellent 'patio plant' in regions where it cannot be kept
outside permanently. A sunny spot and regular feeding will ensure
almost continuous flowering.

Old 14-03-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Mar, 19:25, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 19:10, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
I bought this plant last year at a local "Shed" it was un-named and
growing as a 24inch standard.
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.unknown
I thought it was a species fuchsia at first but now know it's not,
Any ideas folks?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

At a guess, a Cestrum, possibly Cestrum elegans or maybe C. fasciculatum?
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Thanks Sacha,
I would never have thought it would be Cestrum, the tightly packed
flowers and the hairy stems and leaves are so different to the Cestrum
that I have.
Looking on Google there is so much variation in C. elegans it's hard
to believe.
I have also learned that Cestrum is a Solanaceae, this is a family
that I seem to be getting quite a good collection of.
One interesting one is PEPINO DULCE (Solanum muricatum Ait.)
this is grown in New Zeland as a commercial crop, and is worth
investigating.
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pepino.html

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 14-03-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/3/07 20:53, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 14 Mar, 19:25, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 19:10, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
I bought this plant last year at a local "Shed" it was un-named and
growing as a 24inch standard.
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.unknown
I thought it was a species fuchsia at first but now know it's not,
Any ideas folks?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

At a guess, a Cestrum, possibly Cestrum elegans or maybe C. fasciculatum?

Thanks Sacha,
I would never have thought it would be Cestrum, the tightly packed
flowers and the hairy stems and leaves are so different to the Cestrum
that I have.

It just rang a bell with me because we have a few Cestrums here. We grow C.
Parquii in the garden and it's hardy here. I'd never registered the shape of
the flowers just before they broke, or not consciously, but obviously
somewhere in my brain they'd registered.

Looking on Google there is so much variation in C. elegans it's hard
to believe.

Another instance of people 'grabbing' at an identity, do you think?

I have also learned that Cestrum is a Solanaceae, this is a family
that I seem to be getting quite a good collection of.
One interesting one is PEPINO DULCE (Solanum muricatum Ait.)
this is grown in New Zeland as a commercial crop, and is worth
investigating.
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pepino.html

Like the look of that - does it translate as small sweet pepper?

Old 14-03-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Mar, 22:18, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 20:53, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 14 Mar, 19:25, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 19:10, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
[...]

Nothing like a pepper, it's a fruit in its own right, I am waiting for
seed from America, the seed I had last year was expensive and poor
quality, I got 6 plants all different, slow to ripen, but have come
through the winter well, I will propagate and see if they crop
differently in 2nd year.
It's this 30 to 80 day ripening that gets me, I am looking for faster
ripening than I had.
That is why I wanted to get hold of New Zeland stock, but can't find a
contact.
I also have another Solanum which has put on 2 inches this last week,
after dying back to the ground last year, lost it's name though.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 15-03-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/3/07 23:15, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 14 Mar, 22:18, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 20:53, in article

snip
One interesting one is PEPINO DULCE (Solanum muricatum Ait.)
this is grown in New Zeland as a commercial crop, and is worth
investigating.
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pepino.html

Like the look of that - does it translate as small sweet pepper?

Nothing like a pepper, it's a fruit in its own right, I am waiting for
seed from America, the seed I had last year was expensive and poor
quality, I got 6 plants all different, slow to ripen, but have come
through the winter well, I will propagate and see if they crop
differently in 2nd year.
It's this 30 to 80 day ripening that gets me, I am looking for faster
ripening than I had.

30 to 80 days does sound as if it covers a lot of possibilities!

That is why I wanted to get hold of New Zeland stock, but can't find a
contact.

I've got a thought about that and will see what I can do. But don't we have
any NZ lurkers or readers here?!

I also have another Solanum which has put on 2 inches this last week,
after dying back to the ground last year, lost it's name though.

There are quite a few. We have S. Crispum Glasnevin, S. Jaminoides
aureovariegatum and S. jas. Album also S. rantonnettii which is really
tender, though it does alright in places like Salcombe and the CIs. We sell
very few of those because they need conservatories, really. Lovely plant,
though!

Old 15-03-2007, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/3/07 23:15, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 14 Mar, 22:18, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 20:53, in article

snip
[...]

I have just noticed some ripe seed on my Solanum pyrocanthum, I have enough
for 4 people so the first 4 to email and book it can have it! (use the email
address on the web site)
picture at http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/shrub...yrocanthum.jpg
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-03-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Mar, 09:12, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 23:15, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 14 Mar, 22:18, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 20:53, in article

snip
[...]

I think that this solanum is one of my favourites 4th pic in the set.
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.public

Also Have an interesting long leafed one I got out in Malta last year.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 15-03-2007, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/3/07 11:38, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 15 Mar, 09:12, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 23:15, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 14 Mar, 22:18, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 20:53, in article

snip
[...]

Yes, that's the S. rantonnettii - gorgeous colour.

Also Have an interesting long leafed one I got out in Malta last year.

Please put up a pic when you can.

Old 23-03-2007, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Mar, 14:08, Sacha wrote:
On 15/3/07 11:38, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 15 Mar, 09:12, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 23:15, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 14 Mar, 22:18, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 20:53, in article
snip
[...]

Trying to post a picture of the Cestrum with the flowers fully open
http://www.twango.com/share.aspx?cha...ffy4u2.Unknown

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 24-03-2007, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/3/07 19:18, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

snip

Trying to post a picture of the Cestrum with the flowers fully open
http://www.twango.com/share.aspx?cha...ffy4u2.Unknown

Yes, got it and that's the one we have, too. Strange things other people
want to share with the world, though! ;-)
I must find the pic Ray took of 'your' Dahlia (excelsa?) and email it to
you. He put a chair on top of a table to give some idea of its scale!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

unknown plant - shrub Dr. Stefan Burkart Plant Science 2 17-05-2005 08:18 PM
Unknown plant ABC United Kingdom 1 23-05-2004 08:24 AM
Unknown plant si_mats United Kingdom 7 26-01-2004 11:20 PM
Help identify unknown plant material Ronald Plant Biology 2 10-09-2003 09:23 PM
I found what my unknown trailing plant was!!! [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2003 11:20 PM