Old 14-03-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default wild fruit

Tim W wrote:
I had the idea thismorning of attempting to cultivate garden fruit from
local wild stock. There are some very good wild rasberries in the woods
nearby,

There is a flavour to some wild raspberries that you do not get in the
commercial varieties - the closest commercial I've tasted is Leo.
I came across some wonderfull tasting rasps in the German BlackForest
and have grown from seed I brought back. Also grown from rasps taken
in Balderdale (Teesdale) with similar "extra" taste. These fruit had
fairly decent size and lack of "pippiness" - but are no where near
commercial variety size - but then so many of the commercial varieties are
pretty bland tastewise.

Growing raspberries from seed is easy. Smear the raspberry on absorbant
paper and leave in the sun to dry. Scrape off the pips. In Autumn mix a
sandy seed compost and plant the pips - leave the box somewhere where it
will get the frost and cold in winter - this I think is called
stratification (spelling?). Next spring summer, seedlings should emerge.
Xplant into suitable pots for growing on, before xplanting out when a
decent size. Plant many seedlings and be rigorous in pulling up and
discarding any that prove to have weedy or poor growth, or any that have
poor, pippy fruit or with poor flavour, etc

and I know where some gooseberries are growing in a hedge - is it
possible that they are wild? I have never heard of wild goosberries, but
hey, they are goosberries and tasty. What would be the best procedure for
getting these into my garden? Grow from seed? Cuttings? Digging up whole
plants? What time of year and what advice?

tim w