Old 15-03-2007, 09:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Phaius hybrid and a couple other questions

No, their ultra-pesky squirrels that have become so used to people -
especially people feeding them - that they have no hesitation running up to
you and right up your leg and torso in an attempt to get food.

Think "The Birds" with four feet and bushy tails.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
What do you have against squirrels? Are they *killer* squirrels? G

Diana

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Have never grown the Dan Rosenburg hybrid, but Phaius tankervilliae did
well for us in the ground, with morning Florida sun, for several years
(until the triple hurricanes). Kenni

"bobc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All!
I hope this note finds you all in good health. I just brought a
Phaius hybrid - Dan Rosenberg 'Mellow Yellow' - with a clonal name
like that, who could resist? g ( off topic but I sorta seem to
remember being at a concert in Philadelphia many years ago where
Donovan opened for Yes)
I'm going to go look up the care for this plant, but I remember
reading Phaius are shade plants and my question is how shady? Shady
like for African violets ... or shady like Paphs (that really need
bright light without too much direct sun) ... or lots of bright light
with morning sun?
It's in a peat moss / bark mix. This is actually a rescue attempt ...
I got it at a local supermarket, a left over from Valentine's Day.

Also, I have a Paph. hybrid, Maudiae type, and each new growth is
higher than the last. Is this going to be a problem? The newer
growths aren't putting out roots. Should I just repot at an angle?

I have an Onc. Twinkle that grows and flowers just fine, but I get a
lot of spotting and tip dieback on the leaves. I'm not sure if it's a
culture problem, like I'm doing wrong, or not.
I grow on an eastern facing windowsill with about 50 other orchids and
Tillandsia. I water as needed, no extra humidification, light handed
with feeding.
Thanks and have a great day!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.