Old 15-03-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Unknown plant

On 15 Mar, 09:12, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 23:15, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 14 Mar, 22:18, Sacha wrote:
On 14/3/07 20:53, in article

snip
One interesting one is PEPINO DULCE (Solanum muricatum Ait.)
this is grown in New Zeland as a commercial crop, and is worth
investigating.
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pepino.html

Like the look of that - does it translate as small sweet pepper?

Nothing like a pepper, it's a fruit in its own right, I am waiting for
seed from America, the seed I had last year was expensive and poor
quality, I got 6 plants all different, slow to ripen, but have come
through the winter well, I will propagate and see if they crop
differently in 2nd year.
It's this 30 to 80 day ripening that gets me, I am looking for faster
ripening than I had.

30 to 80 days does sound as if it covers a lot of possibilities!

That is why I wanted to get hold of New Zeland stock, but can't find a
contact.

I've got a thought about that and will see what I can do. But don't we have
any NZ lurkers or readers here?!

I also have another Solanum which has put on 2 inches this last week,
after dying back to the ground last year, lost it's name though.

There are quite a few. We have S. Crispum Glasnevin, S. Jaminoides
aureovariegatum and S. jas. Album also S. rantonnettii which is really
tender, though it does alright in places like Salcombe and the CIs. We sell
very few of those because they need conservatories, really. Lovely plant,
though!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

I think that this solanum is one of my favourites 4th pic in the set.
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.public

Also Have an interesting long leafed one I got out in Malta last year.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries