Old 15-03-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Compost trench.

I've dug a compost trench on my allotment for the benefit of the runner
beans eventually.

Yesterday I started filling it with the first batch of stuff from the
bokashi bins.

I'd read that when filling a compost trench you ought to cover the
compost with soil to discourage animals from foraging in it, so I did
that - probably 6-8 inches of soil depth over the compost material.

This morning I arrived to find evidence of digging and contents of
trench spread over several square yards :-(

From the amount of activity and spread of stuff it looks as if it was a
fairly large animal - badger, fox or dog at a guess.

Should I have put more soil over it? Stamped it down harder? Put up
"Badgers keep off" signs? Any advice gratefully received....

--
Carol (near Derby)
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"