Old 15-03-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost trench.

I've dug a compost trench on my allotment for the benefit of the runner
beans eventually.

Yesterday I started filling it with the first batch of stuff from the
bokashi bins.

I'd read that when filling a compost trench you ought to cover the
compost with soil to discourage animals from foraging in it, so I did
that - probably 6-8 inches of soil depth over the compost material.

This morning I arrived to find evidence of digging and contents of
trench spread over several square yards :-(

From the amount of activity and spread of stuff it looks as if it was a
fairly large animal - badger, fox or dog at a guess.

Should I have put more soil over it? Stamped it down harder? Put up
"Badgers keep off" signs? Any advice gratefully received....

--
Carol (near Derby)
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Old 15-03-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Mar, 13:43, (Carol Hague) wrote:
I've dug a compost trench on my allotment for the benefit of the runner
beans eventually.

Yesterday I started filling it with the first batch of stuff from the
bokashi bins.

I'd read that when filling a compost trench you ought to cover the
compost with soil to discourage animals from foraging in it, so I did
that - probably 6-8 inches of soil depth over the compost material.

This morning I arrived to find evidence of digging and contents of
trench spread over several square yards :-(

From the amount of activity and spread of stuff it looks as if it was a
fairly large animal - badger, fox or dog at a guess.

Should I have put more soil over it? Stamped it down harder? Put up
"Badgers keep off" signs? Any advice gratefully received....

--
Carol (near Derby)
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"
- Spray, "The Dangerous Sports Club"

You could get some Armilitox and water lightly with6 or 8 to 1
solution, that should keep them off for a couple of weeks or so.
I have also had some success with using a strong solution squirted
into mole runs, it's kept the little B*****s at bay for several
weeks.
It's useful stuff.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 15-03-2007, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

On 15 Mar, 13:43, (Carol Hague) wrote:
I've dug a compost trench on my allotment for the benefit of the runner
beans eventually.

This morning I arrived to find evidence of digging and contents of
trench spread over several square yards :-(

From the amount of activity and spread of stuff it looks as if it was a
fairly large animal - badger, fox or dog at a guess.

Should I have put more soil over it? Stamped it down harder? Put up
"Badgers keep off" signs? Any advice gratefully received....

You could get some Armilitox and water lightly with6 or 8 to 1
solution, that should keep them off for a couple of weeks or so.
I have also had some success with using a strong solution squirted
into mole runs, it's kept the little B*****s at bay for several
weeks.
It's useful stuff.

Thanks, but I'm really not keen on using chemicals if I can avoid it -
should have mentioned that to begin with, but I forgot - apologies.

--
Carol

Old 15-03-2007, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Mar, 14:51, (Carol Hague) wrote:
Thanks, but I'm really not keen on using chemicals if I can avoid it -
should have mentioned that to begin with, but I forgot - apologies.

Me neither. I've got a scarecrow (this year it's a girl as we replace
scarecrow's head every 2 years on average). This year she's got big
googly eyes. This must help, don't you think? ;o) I've found our
trenches messed with many time in the past. I find huge bones
appearing over night too and someone or something must be wrestling
with the old carpet. I think we need to live with it. I don't fill in
trenches anymore - my broad beans love OM and we don't like runner
beans. One always needs to compromise and give a little bit back to
nature as well.

Old 15-03-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Mar, 15:19, "La Puce" wrote:
On 15 Mar, 14:51, (Carol Hague) wrote:

Thanks, but I'm really not keen on using chemicals if I can avoid it -
should have mentioned that to begin with, but I forgot - apologies.

Me neither. I've got a scarecrow (this year it's a girl as we replace
scarecrow's head every 2 years on average). This year she's got big
googly eyes. This must help, don't you think? ;o) I've found our
trenches messed with many time in the past. I find huge bones
appearing over night too and someone or something must be wrestling
with the old carpet. I think we need to live with it. I don't fill in
trenches anymore - my broad beans love OM and we don't like runner
beans. One always needs to compromise and give a little bit back to
nature as well.

Armilitox is sold as a garden disinfectant, an upmarket version of
Jays fluid.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 15-03-2007, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Mar, 15:57, "Dave Hill" wrote:
Armilitox is sold as a garden disinfectant, an upmarket version of
Jays fluid.

Ta Dave but ... there's no problems with moss, nor algae, fairy rings,
honey fungus, vine weevil ... or even clubroot there. It's a
disinfectant and burns eyes. Therefore it has no place in my lotty.
But perhaps in Carol's. I draw the line with washing up liquid and
salt.

Old 15-03-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
I've dug a compost trench on my allotment for the benefit of the runner
beans eventually.

Yesterday I started filling it with the first batch of stuff from the
bokashi bins.

I'd read that when filling a compost trench you ought to cover the
compost with soil to discourage animals from foraging in it, so I did
that - probably 6-8 inches of soil depth over the compost material.

This morning I arrived to find evidence of digging and contents of
trench spread over several square yards :-(

From the amount of activity and spread of stuff it looks as if it was a
fairly large animal - badger, fox or dog at a guess.

Should I have put more soil over it? Stamped it down harder? Put up
"Badgers keep off" signs? Any advice gratefully received....

--
Carol (near Derby)
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"
- Spray, "The Dangerous Sports Club"

Just live with it. If it really worries you just cover the area with metal
mesh or the plastic equivalent.

Old 15-03-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
"Dave Hill" wrote:
Armilitox is sold as a garden disinfectant, an upmarket version of
Jays fluid.

Jeyes fluid?

Jeyes fluid and Armillatox are both baned from garden uses except as
disinfectant.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publi...esticides2.asp
"Armillatox and Jeyes Fluid will remain on the market after 31.12.03 as
disinfectants, but they will no longer be permitted to be used for
pesticidal
purposes."

Only because they won't spend out the £100's of thousand for animal testing
required for the MAFF Number for all the uses they are/have been put to. It
does not mean they are dangerous in the slightest, just that they won't pay
to prove they aren't for every purpose they could be used for.
A friend was importing Castor Oil specifically as a mole repellent but was
stopped by MAFF unless he paid for full animal testing etc which would have
been no profit for very many years. I've heard similar about Chilli powder
for mixing with bird seed to ward off squirrels, sold in N. America but
banned over here because of the lack of animal testing and therefore a MAFF
number.
It's why we all committing a crime if we use washing up liquid to rid our
plants of aphids. Etc, Etc....

Bureaucracy gone mad, or is it just another tax?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-03-2007, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
I've dug a compost trench on my allotment for the benefit of the runner
beans eventually.

This morning I arrived to find evidence of digging and contents of
trench spread over several square yards :-(

From the amount of activity and spread of stuff it looks as if it was a
fairly large animal - badger, fox or dog at a guess.

Should I have put more soil over it? Stamped it down harder? Put up
"Badgers keep off" signs? Any advice gratefully received....

Just live with it. If it really worries you just cover the area with metal
mesh or the plastic equivalent.

To clarify, I don't really mind on my own account - if it's really that
hungry it can have my compost and welcome - but it managed to spread
some of the stuff onto the next plot over from mine and I was concerned
about upsetting the neighbours, as it were, especially since I'm the new
bod.

If all else fails I'll just have to abandon the trench and compost
things in the daleks until only the worms will want to eat it :-)

--
Carol

Old 16-03-2007, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publi...0503/pesticide...
"Armillatox and Jeyes Fluid will remain on the market after 31.12.03 as
disinfectants, but they will no longer be permitted to be used for
pesticidal
purposes."

Strange I replied to this yesterday afternoon and was told post had
gone through, it must still be wandering cyber space.

They are not banned from garden use and you may still use them for
what ever you want.
What is not allowed is to recommend their use for anything other than
as a disinfectant, just the same as you are not allowed to tell
someone that they can boil up rhubarb leaves to make an insecticide.
I use as few chemicals as I can, only when there is no alternative,
I'd rather let the ladybirds etc do the work for me, If I spot a
really heavy infestation I will spot treat.
I have a couple of Badgers and a few foxes who visit daily, or should
I say Nightly.
I would rather use something with a strong smell to deter them from
parts I don't want them than to have to take more drastic action.
They are learning slowly.
I also feed the birds daily and they do a good job in helping to
control pests.
I do use slug pellets at times, but with care, and for the last 3
years we have had song thrushes breed and rear young, at present they
are just starting their evening song, and it sounds as if there are 3
in competition.
Last year we had 9 young reared, so I must be doing something right.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 16-03-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Dave
Hill writes
for the last 3 years we have had song thrushes breed and rear young,
at present they are just starting their evening song, and it sounds as
if there are 3 in competition. Last year we had 9 young reared, so I
must be doing something right.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

After what you said, I have just realised that I haven't seen the song
thrushes yet! I'll never forget the sight of mother (I assume) thrush
teaching a chick how to have a bath in the bird-bath!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

What do you use to dig a trench for putting the plastic lawn edging into ? Mickey Lawns 1 30-07-2003 10:08 PM
Need 40' Trench Dug Robert Ramirez Texas 13 17-06-2003 01:44 PM
Placing sod at bottom of trench? Bob Muir Gardening 0 03-05-2003 05:44 PM
Trench/channel drain CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
trench composting Paul Taylor United Kingdom 11 16-01-2003 08:23 PM