Old 15-03-2007, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Did I dream it?

On 15/3/07 11:43, in article
, "Ornata"
wrote:

On 14 Mar, 16:04, "Dave Hill" wrote:
I am sure that last year I cane across an item either in print
somewhere or else somewhere on line about Chinese Bonsi growers using
fans to make the growth of their plants shorter and firmer.
I have searched and searched to no avail.
It makes sense when you think that trees un-staked develop thicker
trunks.
I tried using a fan on Dahlia cuttings towards the end of last season
and those closest to the fan were more compact.
I think this season it will be one at each end of the house.
Has anyone else heard of this?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

There was an episode of "The Flying Gardener" that showed a mini-
forest of stunted oaks along the coast (possibly Cornwall). Some of
them were no taller than the heather - due to the constant strong
winds.

I've seen some like that on top of a very windy hill in Greece. I never did
find out if the Greek ones (near Galaxidhi) were a particular variety or
whether they had simply been stunted by the wind.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk