Old 14-03-2007, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Did I dream it?

I am sure that last year I cane across an item either in print
somewhere or else somewhere on line about Chinese Bonsi growers using
fans to make the growth of their plants shorter and firmer.
I have searched and searched to no avail.
It makes sense when you think that trees un-staked develop thicker
trunks.
I tried using a fan on Dahlia cuttings towards the end of last season
and those closest to the fan were more compact.
I think this season it will be one at each end of the house.
Has anyone else heard of this?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 14-03-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Mar 2007 09:04:24 -0700, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

Has anyone else heard of this?

I had a relative who grew bonsai and she had a fan blowing air over
them all he time. I assumed it was something to do with keeping the
room and the trees cool.

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com
Old 15-03-2007, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 14 Mar, 16:04, "Dave Hill" wrote:
I am sure that last year I cane across an item either in print
somewhere or else somewhere on line about Chinese Bonsi growers using
fans to make the growth of their plants shorter and firmer.
I have searched and searched to no avail.
It makes sense when you think that trees un-staked develop thicker
trunks.
I tried using a fan on Dahlia cuttings towards the end of last season
and those closest to the fan were more compact.
I think this season it will be one at each end of the house.
Has anyone else heard of this?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

There was an episode of "The Flying Gardener" that showed a mini-
forest of stunted oaks along the coast (possibly Cornwall). Some of
them were no taller than the heather - due to the constant strong
winds.