Old 27-03-2003, 07:20 AM
JennyC

Default Questions about flowers:

"JohnnyJ" wrote
Hello group,

Hi JohnnyJ,
Welcome to URG :~)

Today I bought 2 packs of seeds - one was aquilegia(150 seeds), the
other lobelia(2500 seeds). I don't know anything about these

flowers
and I only chose them because I liked the pictures on the packets

:-)
On the back of the lobelia packet, it says "a half hardy annual" -

does
this mean it will only flower once and then I'll have to replant, or
will the flowers pollinated each other and create more flowers.

Half hardy means exactly that. They might survive the winter, but
probably won't :~)
More info at: http://www.seymourseeduk.com/growingtips.cfm
and http://www.thompson-morgan.com/guide..._initials.html

The aquilegia packet says "a hardy perennial" - does this mean it

will
flower year after year? Also will they pollinate each other and

spread
beyond the area in which I plant them?

They will come back every year and seed themselves about. Some people
regard them as a weed because of this. They can get VERY prolific :~)

I am going to plant these indoors on a sunny window sill soon, but I
don't know how densely I should plant the seeds - does one seed

create
one flower?

Yes, but they might not all come up.

Can anyone give an estimate as to how much area I can cover with

these
flowers?

Phew, that's a hard one. Does it not give recommended planting spacing
on the packets ??

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any answers.
JohnnyJ

Happy gardening, Jenny