Old 26-03-2003, 09:44 PM
JohnnyJ

Default Questions about flowers:

Hello group,
Today I bought 2 packs of seeds - one was aquilegia(150 seeds), the
other lobelia(2500 seeds). I don't know anything about these flowers
and I only chose them because I liked the pictures on the packets :-)
On the back of the lobelia pactet, it says "a half hardy annual" - does
this mean it will only flower once and then I'll have to replant, or
will the flowers pollinated each other and create more flowers.
The aquilegia packet says "a hardy perennial" - does this mean it will
flower year after year? Also will they pollinate each other and spread
beyond the area in which I plant them?

I am going to plant these indoors on a sunny window sill soon, but I
don't know how densely I should plant the seeds - does one seed create
one flower?

Can anyone give an estimate as to how much area I can cover with these
flowers?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any answers.
JohnnyJ

Old 27-03-2003, 07:20 AM
JennyC

"JohnnyJ" wrote
Hello group,

Hi JohnnyJ,
Welcome to URG :~)

Today I bought 2 packs of seeds - one was aquilegia(150 seeds), the
other lobelia(2500 seeds). I don't know anything about these

flowers
and I only chose them because I liked the pictures on the packets

:-)
On the back of the lobelia packet, it says "a half hardy annual" -

does
this mean it will only flower once and then I'll have to replant, or
will the flowers pollinated each other and create more flowers.

Half hardy means exactly that. They might survive the winter, but
probably won't :~)
More info at: http://www.seymourseeduk.com/growingtips.cfm
and http://www.thompson-morgan.com/guide..._initials.html

The aquilegia packet says "a hardy perennial" - does this mean it

will
flower year after year? Also will they pollinate each other and

spread
beyond the area in which I plant them?

They will come back every year and seed themselves about. Some people
regard them as a weed because of this. They can get VERY prolific :~)

I am going to plant these indoors on a sunny window sill soon, but I
don't know how densely I should plant the seeds - does one seed

create
one flower?

Yes, but they might not all come up.

Can anyone give an estimate as to how much area I can cover with

these
flowers?

Phew, that's a hard one. Does it not give recommended planting spacing
on the packets ??

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any answers.
JohnnyJ

Happy gardening, Jenny

Old 27-03-2003, 04:34 PM
JohnnyJ

JennyC wrote:
snip

Happy gardening, Jenny

Thanks for all the help. Those lobelia seeds were *tiny*! I spread
each packet of seeds over 2 trays (each about 1 sq. ft.) each, and when
the sprout I'll move some to other pots and try to spread them about as
best I can.
Thanks again for the help.
JohnnyJ

Old 27-03-2003, 06:08 PM
JennyC

"JohnnyJ" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
snip

Happy gardening, Jenny

Thanks for all the help. Those lobelia seeds were *tiny*! I spread
each packet of seeds over 2 trays (each about 1 sq. ft.) each, and

when
the sprout I'll move some to other pots and try to spread them about

as
best I can.
Thanks again for the help.
JohnnyJ

Tip for the future : mix very fine seed with some sand. It makes it
easier to spread out :~)
Jenny

Old 29-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:00:31 +0100, "JennyC" wrotc:

Tip for the future : mix very fine seed with some sand. It makes it
easier to spread out :~)
Jenny

Hi, Jenny - welcome (I'm new here too).

For some inextricable reason your advice conjured in my mind the
cinematic image of those who plant out rice seedlings in the Far East.

Woosh into the mud, woosh into the mud, woosh into the mud.

It's about one a second isn't it? Must hold the record anyway.

With your little seeds what you need is an army of trained ants.

Hussein
a post à le "Heavenly Smoke" (- but he seems to me even more
fantastical {delightfully} ).
Grow a little garden

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Hussein M. contains these words:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:00:31 +0100, "JennyC" wrotc:

Tip for the future : mix very fine seed with some sand. It makes it
easier to spread out :~)
Jenny

Hi, Jenny - welcome (I'm new here too).

???? JennyC has been a frequent poster here for years !

a post à le "Heavenly Smoke"

Something certainly seems to have clouded your memory and grammar.

Janet
Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
JohnnyJ

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Hi, Jenny - welcome (I'm new here too).

???? JennyC has been a frequent poster here for years !

Perhaps he was referring to me as the other new poster here when he said
"too"? If so, then he'd be correct.
JohnnyJ

Old 30-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Hussein M.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:13:47 -0000, "JohnnyJ"
wrotc:

Perhaps he was referring to me as the other new poster here when he said
"too"? If so, then he'd be correct.
JohnnyJ

Yep. You got it. Sorry about that Jenny!

Huss

Grow a little garden
Old 30-03-2003, 10:08 AM
JennyC

"Hussein M." wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:13:47 -0000, "JohnnyJ"
wrotc:

Perhaps he was referring to me as the other new poster here when he

said
"too"? If so, then he'd be correct.
JohnnyJ

Yep. You got it. Sorry about that Jenny!
Huss

That's OK :~)
Jenny