Old 15-03-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Compost trench.

"Martin" wrote
"Dave Hill" wrote:
Armilitox is sold as a garden disinfectant, an upmarket version of
Jays fluid.

Jeyes fluid?

Jeyes fluid and Armillatox are both baned from garden uses except as
disinfectant.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publi...esticides2.asp
"Armillatox and Jeyes Fluid will remain on the market after 31.12.03 as
disinfectants, but they will no longer be permitted to be used for
pesticidal
purposes."

Only because they won't spend out the £100's of thousand for animal testing
required for the MAFF Number for all the uses they are/have been put to. It
does not mean they are dangerous in the slightest, just that they won't pay
to prove they aren't for every purpose they could be used for.
A friend was importing Castor Oil specifically as a mole repellent but was
stopped by MAFF unless he paid for full animal testing etc which would have
been no profit for very many years. I've heard similar about Chilli powder
for mixing with bird seed to ward off squirrels, sold in N. America but
banned over here because of the lack of animal testing and therefore a MAFF
number.
It's why we all committing a crime if we use washing up liquid to rid our
plants of aphids. Etc, Etc....

Bureaucracy gone mad, or is it just another tax?

--
Regards
Bob H